Parents coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

My son in attanding boys class. The class and the coach is a good fit for him. Coach is a strong focused coach. But i obsolutely hate her. With a passion. Right now its 2 hours since the class ended and my blood is still boiling from that coach. My son has been trying to learn back handspring on tremp for a year. Last week h finally got it. It was in another temporary class he was in. So today i informed the coach that he finally got that trick down. She was like, "yeah...i like to teach them my pace". I could not believe she said that. She knows how close he was all this time. Thing i obsolutely hate about her is that she doesnt not celebrate the achivements of kids if that happened not on her watch. I am sorry but kids dont go her pace they have pace of their own. What to do? Its a good fit during tne class but she makes me mad with her attitude when we try to talk to her after or before class. I am overreacting?

I agree with you kids learn at their own pace. It makes me crazy when some coaches get this " god complex". We have had coaches like that before. You're not over-reacting in my opinion, we should all treat each other with RESPECT -parents, coaches, kids. We have to work together!

Yes exactly right - coach with god syndrome. She is good coach though... Would you stay or go?

You may be overreacting. Coaches can get a bit possessive of their gymnasts, it is not really a bad thing. It can hurt a coach sometimes to be working with a kid on a skill for ages then they just get it when another coach is working with them.

it is quite common for this to happen, of course the kid got the skill after their normal coach had put in all the ground work, physical preparation and drills. But then somebody just comes along and says something different and it will often click. For some coaches it can make them feel inadequate.

Honestly, I think you are overreacting. I don’t see this as a reason to change gyms/coaches. Be thankful that you have a coach who’s coaching style works for your son. It also sounds like this coach generally does celebrate the kid’s accomplishments just not those that are learned at an outside class. The coach may just want to see the skill for herself. Some of these clinic type classes don’t always teach things properly and she might want to see what bad habits she will need to correct.

Congratulations to your son for getting his back handspring!!

Do you really, properly 'hate her with a passion'? Or was it just the boiling blood?

Many of us are guilty of getting too emotional over our kid's gymnastics from time to time. It's so easy to over react to and over analyse a passing comment from someone with other things on their mind, or just a badly phrased response from someone feeling got at. In their head it's gone and forgotten and unimportant in the scheme of things. To us it's out child's happiness at stake and we can't understand how they missed that. I often worry myself stupid about things which I know will resolve themselves whether I'm lying awake at 3am or not, but I can't help it!

I don't really see eye to eye with my daughter's coach (actually she scares the bejeebers out of me to the point where I have to pluck up courage to smile at her when she passes, let alone talk to her...!) and some of the things she does can temporarily drive me potty. And yes, coaches all seem to have their little ways... However my daughter loves her and my daughter is doing well with her gymnastics and is happy and for those reasons, and many more, she's the right coach for my daughter and I wouldn't move her.

Sounds like this is the right coach for your son. So why would you move him?

If however you really meant what you said... well then, wow, I'm not sure what to advise.

Like gymnasts or anybody else, coaches have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies.I know we can't help the way we feel. But it is either you trust the coach or you don't. You can try to overlook this shortcoming. If you can't, then maybe she is not as great a fit as you think.

Like gymnasts or anybody else, coaches have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies.I know we can't help the way we feel. But it is either you trust the coach or you don't. You can try to overlook this shortcoming. If you can't, then maybe she is not as great a fit as you think.
^^^^^^
This!! Here is my perspective: I am not a coach. I may not always understand methods my daughter's coaches uses but I always trust that they have her safety and her best interests at heart. If I ever felt that they didn't care about her safety, she'd be out of there. I wouldn't leave over being irritated about a perceived slight from her coach.

i feel your pain.. this happened to my daughter at her gym while learning her BHS.. she is the youngest on her team (5) and i felt that the coach was not letting her "get it" (so to speak) just because the only other girl on the team that had gotten it was 6 years older than her. it was frustrating to watch the coach what i call "fake train" my daughter. we ended up at a tumbling class for my older daughter's cheer team and of course my lil daughter wanted to participate, so i let her.. yep, she had her double BHS in like 20 minutes!! literally! my blood was close to boil, too. luckily, during the summer her team started being trained by another of the coaches. i showed her the video and ever since she has been allowed to do them, but the other coach still does not acknowledge that she does them. it really bothers me when coaches have their own agenda and since my daughter isn't old enough to compete at a level higher than 3 i think he was purposely holding her back skill wise. she no longer has him as a coach (at least for now) and besides beam, my daughter has excelled on each event with many compliments along the way!! he wasn't big on high fives, so the first time the other coach held their hand up for her to slap, she looked confused and walked off.

Last edited:
From a coaches perspective, he/she may have handled it poorly, but he/she may have had a reason she was working on it the way she did. Many times when a kiddo works with a new coach and suddenly "gets" a skill it is because this coach decided to just let them throw it. It may actually push him back because all the progression and form work from his main coach may just go out the window. I would much rather have a coach that takes there time to teach a child with proper progressions and form then have a coach that uses the throw and go mentality. It is much safer the way your coach is handling it. Just because a child can do it does not mean it will be done properly, and they can develop some bad habits that are very hard to break.

Your coach may have a God complex and if that is the case I am sorry you have to deal with that, but more than likely he/she is very picky about proper progression, and that is something to celebrate.

There is a boy on my son's team that had the backhand spring before he joined the team, but he taught himself so had bad form. The whole season, he probably lost more on it than gained by doing it as a bonus for Level 4. Perhaps she is trying to prevent this from happening.

It just could be.........maybe this coach has worked around the sport long enough to know that once a kid "gets" a skill, they stop learning the fundamentals that made the skill possible. If she was intending that your son learn more about the importance of pushing back to start the bhs, she's going to have a harder time because your ds is going to focus on the middle/end of the skill and is going to wonder what all the fuss is about the beginning of the skill.

Sure, it could be the "god complex", but even then it seems she knows how to prepare the kids for results, and in the long term that's what it's all about. You could always check for the "god complex" by throwing a little "famine and pestulance" at her to see how she reacts......:rolleyes:

I don't understand her response. It doesn't make sense! she had already been trying to teach him the trick for a year so how could he be going ahead of her pace?
I can understand though how disapponting it would be when you have put in all the groundwork with a gymnast and then it finally (happens to ) click with another coach. Of course she should have kept these feelings hidden and said 'well done ' to your son.
To answer your question though, how does your son feel about this lady, it is really how he relates to her that is important not your feelings about her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back