WAG College club teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Does anyone know if there is a comprehensive list of which colleges have club teams?

I know Univ of Florida does, as that's where my 12 year old is setting her sights (but we are pretty sure she won't make their TEAM). But it's gotten me wondering what other schools she might be interested in (for academics) if they had a club team.

Thanks!

I think UT Austin & A&M Commerce. All TX folks sent an email to A&M as a petition to start a D1 team since there are NONE here! Don't forget to check out D2 & D3 schools as well! TWU has a team, I believe! My dd dreams of going to OU, but secretly I dream of TWU! No boys & gymnastics?!?! Can anyone think of a better way to send your girlie off to college???? I'm also promoting TWU to my older daughter (11.5)!!! Lol! Guess that's what you get when mommy had to take a break bc of 2 blue lines! Hahahaha!

If you just type into your search engine, which colleges have women's gymnastics you will get a list. It worked for me when I was wondering. My daughter thinks she's going to Stanford or UCLA. I have very gently told her that she could possibly go to one of those schools for academics, but if she's hoping to do gymnastics in college she better broaden her sights.

I have it right, yes, that these are teams that are not NCAA, correct? Meaning, girls don't have to have been Level 10 in high school?)
(I want to make sure I'm using the phrase "Club team" correctly.)
Yes, these are the schools with club gymnastics teams. The UC Berkeley club team has a great website. They actually have a video up right now of the recent Western Region One club team championship that gives you a great idea of the variety of skill levels you see from students who participate in club gymnastics: http://www.calgymnasticsclub.com/ (page down when you open the home page)

Yes, these are the schools with club gymnastics teams. The UC Berkeley club team has a great website. They actually have a video up right now of the recent Western Region One club team championship that gives you a great idea of the variety of skill levels you see from students who participate in club gymnastics: http://www.calgymnasticsclub.com/ (page down when you open the home page)

Thank you for that!!!
Quite a variety of skills!
This helps. I know my daughter is still only 12, but she often talks about still doing gymnastics in college... but I'm "pretty sure" unless something changes, she won't be making any NCAA team. This is definitely something she could look forward to as she gets older.

College club gymnastics can lead to more. DD was a 2nd year L10 when she graduated HS but only received interest from D2 and 3 schools. She was disappointed so she enrolled at one of the D1 schools on that list and joined their club team. During her first year she stayed in shape, practiced her skills and posted a video on-line. She was invited to walk on a D1 team where she completed her gym career. (She did get some academic scholarship assistance at the D1 school but none from the athletic dept.)

Myself and DD were just talking about this yesterday! She's 12 and wants to compete through adulthood(I hope so)., but, she is only a level 4 and it doesn't look like she will go fast through optionals. So, I told her she has the option of getting an academic scholarship and joining a NAIGC college. So. We looked them up, seems to be more flexible options this way. Takes the pressure off of her so she can enjoy her gymnastics!

This was awesome to see. Really shows that the doors to the gym don't close for the average girl at high school graduation. Thank you for sharing!

NAIGC has some meets that follow L8 rules (but most follow L9 Rules) ... HOWEVER, they encourage everyone from beginners to former high level gymnasts to compete. It is like our High School League here... L8 Rules, but the girls who came to the HS team from Xcel Gold do what they can (figure out what B skills they can actually compete and go from there). Their Start Value may not be a 10.0, but that's ok. They also don't necessarily have to compete All Around.

One of DD's coaches still competes for a club team. The girls went to watch her compete once even, it was fun for them. It was a fun meet with a very wide range of skills. There were teams from all over our "region" so to speak (not just from our state, if that makes sense). Some girls were competing a cartwheel cartwheel tumbling pass on floor, while others had Level 10 skills.

I'm on UCLA's club team and I'll tell you it's a lot of fun! I didn't get to go to any of our travel meets this year due to injury, but I'm looking forward to it next year, especially NAIGC Nationals! You can do NAIGC if you haven't even done gymnastics before (UCLA requires certain skills and strength to join our campus club, but that's just a safety precaution as we don't have a formal coach). It's a lot of fun and if NCAA gymnastics isn't in you or your child's future, NAIGC is always an option. :)

I also do club gym, which is a breath of fresh air after training so hard in high school. There are some issues because it's all student-run, and students aren't professionals at doing things like submitting travel documents or reimbursement forms. However in general it's great, the cheapest place it's possible to do gymnastics, and open to any level or age beyond 17. The only stinker is that we have no coach, so it's pretty hard to learn new skills and re-learn tough old skills, especially on bars and floor.

Thank you all! Although it's still a way for us (not nearly as long as I'd like to think...), it helps to have this information!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back