Coming back from injury - coach perspective

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I coach at a rec gym. I have a girl who broke her arm 2 years ago falling off the balance beam. She wasn't actually doing anything, she just fell off and landed on her wrist and broke her arm. Last year, she was doing a back bend and her arm broke again. Same arm, different spot. It was probably her nine millionth bridge so I know she was fully capable of doing it.

Tonight she is coming back to the gym and I have to be honest that I'm a little scared. The doctors ran bone density tests, etc and said that there was nothing wrong in that area. She is fully healed and cleared for all activity.

Obviously, I'm going to start off very slowly with handstands, cartwheels, etc. This girl has never made it to the back handspring on her own level, although she was doing a decent front handspring before she got hurt.

I'll take any and all advice I can get since I haven't been in this situation before.

just go slow and teach as you normally would do. i know it looks like something that you might be concerned with, but bones break when things are done wrong and it is was probably just coincidence. carry on.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back