Competitive gymnastics and competitive cheer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kasmom

Does anyone else here let your daughter do both competitive gymnastics and competitive cheer? My daughter was just level 2 this year and did both. She will be level 4 in gymnastics next year so she will be going to gymnastics for 7 hours a week instead of 4 hours a week. Cheer is only 2 hours per week. She has the same coach for both gym and cheer so I know he would work out so that she could still do both next year. There are 3 other team girls who do both. I am concerned with the number of hours that she will be spending at the gym. Right now she loves it. She's currently going 6 hours a week. She just turned 7 years old. Do you think that spending so much time at the gym is going to cause her to get burned out? I'm not sure what to do. She wants to do both again next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
9 hours total for both sports seems reasonable. Most gyms in my area have their level 4's go between 9 and 12 hours. It is great you have the same coach for both sports, so as long as you can work something out schedule wise, I think it is worth a shot if they are both something your DD loves. You know your daughter best, so if it starts to become to much, she could always stop one of them, but until that point, I would give it a try first.

Thanks for your quick reply. That is what I was thinking. It gets really hectic this time of year when we've got competitions every weekend, but there's only a few months like this. She is doing so good though, and I feel that the two complement each other to make her better at both. We do go less time than most of the other gyms in our state, but our girls seem to perform just as well as the others at meets. This year my daughter won 1st AA at 2 meets and 2nd AA at 2 meets. We've got 3 more to go_Our classes are very small. There are only 8 girls in my daughter's gymnastics class so they get a lot of one on one attention. I think that helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back