Parents Confused. WWYD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommy25qtpies

Proud Parent
We recently switched gyms, 4 months ago, due to issues with the boys team not being able to keep a coach and were so far very happy with the new gym. But.... Move up letters went out. 2 of my children got the placements we expected but 1 did not.

She was preteam at our last gym, working 6 hours a week, and when we switched they placed her at rec level 2 saying they don't put kids on preteam or team mid year. That was fine with me. Her coach told us she was ready to compete and that she wanted her on level 3 or xcel. But the move up letter says preteam. When I questioned why the office wouldn't give me a reason. The coach, my daughter, and I all want her on level 3. But the office says no. Have no idea what to do. Don't want to be that mom but my daughter feels very defeated.

WWYD

Jennifer

This is strange to me. I run the office at our gym, and move ups are 1000% the head coach, not the office. When parents question me about move ups, they are told the same thing. To me, the office staff has nothing to do with the progression of the gymnasts. Our jobs are completely different. Does the coach have an email you can use to clarify?

I'm confused. Why does the office have any say in what level your DD competes at? Talk to the coach and have them straighten it out, if in fact they want your DD to move up.

It could be that the office is following guidelines based on the HC or the owner(s). It may be a requirement that each gymnast progress through the levels as required by the handbook. Doesn't work this way on our gym team, but it did for competitive dance.

Mommy -

You pay your tuition and you are owed a straight answer from the coach, not an admin person in the office. Request a meeting, during the day, not after practice and get your questions answered.

Now, if move-ups and level assignments are in fact controlled by the admin folks in the office, my recommendation changes. RUN! As fast as you can away from this gym.

Good Luck.

Not sure what happened to my post but I will try again

The "office" may not be office staff but the actual hc or owner. I would just request a meeting for some straight answers. There are lots of possibilities : poor communication b/t coach and hc, gym policies (all girls must pass through preterm), space issues (too many on preteam moving up and no room for your dd), they feel you dd needs more time to fix issues they didn't see when they first evaluated her... Just request a meeting...

Not sure what happened to my post but I will try again

The "office" may not be office staff but the actual hc or owner. I would just request a meeting for some straight answers. There are lots of possibilities : poor communication b/t coach and hc, gym policies (all girls must pass through preterm), space issues (too many on preteam moving up and no room for your dd), they feel you dd needs more time to fix issues they didn't see when they first evaluated her... Just request a meeting...
I agree with all of this.

Would I be correct in assuming the child who didn't move up to L3 is also your youngest, and would be about 6 or 7 years old......

Her placement on preteam may be what the H/C feels is best from a gymnastics development point of view. I've seen too many littles that have more ability than their cognitive skills can keep up with. When that happens you see a coach who's repeating corrections because the kids lack the maturity for yesterday's correction to stick.

It's not a very effective way for a child to be developed because it eats away at the kiddo's energy, wears down the coach, and sends a subtle message to the child that the sport is much harder than it is. At least that's the message I would get if I kept being told how to fix the same problem day in and day out..... week after week. Even worse is when a frustrated coach throws in the towel, gives up on getting every kid to do it as it should be done, and lets them finish their learning at the school of "throw and go."

Maybe that's not it, but you won't know until you ask and are ready for that type of answer.

Not sure what you mean by office. The head coach or owner?

You have to talk to the coaches. Offices in gymnastics gyms aren't like administrators at schools.

This happened last year to my daughter. Coaches wanted her moved up but was overruled by the office (owners). Owners, who never saw her at practice or at meets. Never got a reason why. HC tried to move her up again before the season started but was not allowed.

We have a Head Coach for each team as well as a Team Director. I am Team Director and JO Girls Head Coach. All Head Coaches present move-ups to me as Team Director. I can deny move-ups for any team...I can also force move-ups for any team.

As Head Coach...I train gymnasts and coaches on the JO Girls Team. As Team Director...I have much more to consider.

Can you explain this?

Sure...I handle the direction of the entire team system. Any changes that are made must be in line with not only each individual team mission...but our company mission statement. I also work hard to keep the team together as a team...college style team spirit. I am also in charge of every penny of the almost $500,000 that our team program deals with each year. Hiring...firing...making sure coach training is happening...budget...new equipment...meet schedules...etc...etc...etc.

The head coaches train the gymnasts once all of the managerial decisions have been made.

We are starting to run more like a big team.

We are starting to run more like a big team.
Can you explain the purpose behind this interesting concept? How is this beneficial to the girls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you explain the purpose behind this interesting concept? How is this beneficial to the girls?

I guess the question really would be..."How is it not beneficial to the gymnasts (girls and boys)?"

Big provides MORE...however...more is not always better. It is a very delicate balance. We have challenges with this concept everyday...but overall there are far more PROS than CONS.

The BIG vs SMALL team conversation will take this thread way off topic. Start a new thread and I will answer.

Update from op.

My daughter is 8. Not 6. Just want to clarify that.

After talking back and forth with the office we finally were handed to the girls head coach. She's going to evaluate my daughter and we will then go from there. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Update from op.

My daughter is 8. Not 6. Just want to clarify that.

After talking back and forth with the office we finally were handed to the girls head coach. She's going to evaluate my daughter and we will then go from there. Hopefully it will be resolved.
Thanks for the update, hope the head coach sees what's best for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back