WAG Core exercises for 8 year old DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

billise

Proud Parent
Hi all! A little background first. DD (young 8 year old) had a gym change over the summer after our family moved across country. Old gym was very competitive at the optional levels but not as much at the compulsory levels (they really wanted those young/new gymnasts to have fun and learn without feeling like they have to be perfect). This philosophy worked out great for my 6 year old level 3. She had all the level 3 skills they just were not super pretty.

New gym (which was highly recommended by old gym) is very competitive all the way through and DD is really being challenged on form. Thankfully she is having fun and really enjoying new gym but she says she is getting a lot of corrections that involve core strength (for example not hollowing like she needs to on her glides) so she wants to start doing core exercises at home on non gym days. She already does 5 straddle press handstands on her own (she's up to 2 really nice ones in a row) but wants to add to that. I don't want to leave it up to her because she'll go overboard so what do you guys think? How much time should I allow her to devote to this and what exercises should she do.

Give her a timer with 15 mins. She can do press handstands, hollow holds, etc and then maybe a little flexibility. Enough to probably help a little and not go overboard. Giving her the timer will also likely keep her focused which is another great thing for her to practice.

The specific things you mention show it could be an issue of core control and awareness rather than strength. You may want to leave it to the coaches since if she does the exercises in the wrong form she will just be reinforcing her issues.
Thanks Gymdog, you have given me a lot if good advise in the past!

What makes you think it may be awareness and control as opposed to strength? Is that typically the problem when the child has difficulty hollowing properly on the glide?

The specific things you mention show it could be an issue of core control and awareness rather than strength. You may want to leave it to the coaches since if she does the exercises in the wrong form she will just be reinforcing her issues.
...and it's interesting that you mentioned awareness and control because even though she's really quite thin she's a bit sway back and tends to walk around with her tummy poked out. She'll fix it if you say something to her but she really doesn't seem to recognize it on her own :)

Suggest to her that she could have a little fun doing ordinary things while standing or hopping on one foot and then the other. Having to balance is a great way to improve posture.

My dds favorite core fun is sitting on a Pilates ball. Start with just sitting then they can play around with different positions. She loves playing around with balancing in different contortions. A bosu ball or balance board is also great fun.

If she is a little sway back then learning to keep her tummy tight and her spine in a neutral position will be great. A good one is to lay flat on back and put your hand under her lower back and have her push her back into your hand. When she can comfortably hold that without trouble for a bit start playing with hands and legs. Hands over head and do the same thing. Knees bent, same thing. Legs at ninety straight up. Then start lowering legs and adding arms and legs and very slow movements as she gets better. It is fun to see how they can challenge themselves while always keeping that neutral spine and tight tummy. You can also flip this around and do a similar thing on hands and knees. Hand on lower back, tummy tight and make sure the hips stay flat as she slowly raises hands and legs up and down.

We have a bunch of these as dd has done a ton of core building pt. There are lots of options but I always leave out anything they do at the gym or that involves gymnastics shapes so she doesn't practice things incorrectly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back