WAG Cost of opening a brand new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kandkfunk

Proud Parent
Hi all,

I hear there is a going to be a new gym in our area. To my knowledge, this will be the first brand new gym in our area in at least a decade. I am wondering if anybody has any idea what the costs of opening a gym from scratch would be, as opposed to purchasing an established gym? I have no idea what all is entailed and I'm just curious about the logistics.

I think it depends if the gym intends to do"serious" upper level training or not. I think the equipment would easily be a couple hundered thousand then the facility design and construction for that high level of training maybe another $300K (maybe more). Then the insurance and staff costs. I think it would take some deep pockets to do it right.

Many tens of thousands, if not more.

Full size floor £ 15,000
Beam £1,000
Bars £ 2,000
Vault £ 1,500
Springboard £ 400
P bars £ 3,000

Mats, pick you price, plus heating/cooling, recption area furnishings, computers, softwear, insurance, business taxes etc etc etc

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

A Lot!! Depends on if they are building a facility or renting and what type of training happens. I opened my gym in a small space to begin with with minimal start up but now building a new facility and the equipment that goes will go into the hundreds of thousands.

The gym I train at set the budget to $30 million when they moved to a new location two years ago. Most likely opening a gym won't cost THAT much, but our gym (and a few other sports clubs) had to use much of the $$$ on BUILDING the facility. It was a lot of fundraising, phew!! And they just bought all new AVAI equipment and dug out a massive (I mean massive. Biggest pit ever) foam pit. A large chunk of money goes to paying taxes and fees and all that stuff though too.

got to know everything going in the place to approximate the how much part. :)

I know how much our brand new building cost, but it's not my place to say publicly. Let's just say that the estimate of $300k was way, way, way off the mark. We have an established team and class base, so I'm just talking building here. And they kept most of the old equipment to save money.

I talked to someone who would like to open a gym. The start up costs are huge. The equipment bought used is $150,000. Then, you have to lease the space. He was looking at a minimum of $5,000 a month to upwards of $25,000. Probably better to buy at that price. I wonder how many months you would have to be up and running just to break even. He is an amazing coach and would have many gymnasts join him, but still.....

Well, it sounds like a fairly expensive endeavor just to build a basic gym. I really have no idea how big the gym will be or what type of equipment it will have. I know that "Elite" is in the gym name, but our area isn't known for producing elite level gymnasts, so I'm not really sure if that will be the primary focus. It will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks everyone for your input!

Look up "building a pit". Dunno gave a very detailed answer as to the cost of that alone. It was very educational.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back