WAG Cost of TOPS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gym_dadd

My DD is getting more and more involved in TOPS. Can anyone tell me the ongoing costs for this? The costs keep adding up and I'm wondering if it is worth it and if we are going to be able to keep paying. We pay monthly TOPS class fees, travel to Texas multiple times a year fees, and all of our "regular" fees. Is it worth it? What do you pay? It seems like this is a never ending and increasing cost.

My DD is getting more and more involved in TOPS. Can anyone tell me the ongoing costs for this? The costs keep adding up and I'm wondering if it is worth it and if we are going to be able to keep paying. We pay monthly TOPS class fees, travel to Texas multiple times a year fees, and all of our "regular" fees. Is it worth it? What do you pay? It seems like this is a never ending and increasing cost.

too much. no. no.

We pay nothing. It's included as part of their regular training. Now I'm sure there will be/is a cost to go to testing/camps, but our gym decided not to have anyone test because they said it was a mess this year. The changes were finalized too late, new people were taking over etc. They wanted to give it a year to settle down. In the past the gym has always had girls making TOPS national team. My DD is 7, so this would have been our first year.

Why are you traveling to Texas multiple times a year?

She travels to Texas for National testing and then for camp - she made the team.

The only thing USAG pays for is your flight and room and board for A camp. You still have to pay for your coach, you and your coach for Nationals, training throughout the year, and any additional camp you want to attend throughout the year - if you decide to go to additional camps. It adds up quickly even if USAG pays for DD's expenses one time.

If money is a issue, I would skip the additional traing camps. I know many great gymnast who have made A team and never have gone to additional camps. I can see that being very pricey!!!!! I guess I'm lucky, are gym does not charge extra for TOPS training.

Hmmm, I think the gyms receive "bragging rights" if their athletes make TOPS, plus many of the conditioning drills can just be done at home, so the gym should not be charging extra for this instruction. As to whether it is worth it...I have mixed feelings: It is a good ego boost and the camps are educational, but most young girls really don't learn a ton. So, in my mind, if it places stress on the family and/or budget, I would not do it.

TOPS, sticky conversation. I allow my kids to have a variety of experiences. My ds goes to public school and I allow him to participate in extra activities after school. He doesn't need them to be an excellent student but they provide enrichment experiences that are different from what he gets in the classroom. He also gets to know other parents and staff, which could be beneficial down the unforeseen road. My dd home schools, participates in TOPS training daily in gym, she made A camp for TOPS and it isn't necessary for her to go to Texas. BUT, she has worked hard for it and I see it as an enrichment program. There could be benefits along the way, but TOPS certainly isn't necessary. Like all the extra activities our children do, if you can afford it and you think it provides enrichment in their experience of gymnastics, I say do it. If you can't swing it, don't sweat it. There is more than one way to get a fulfilling gymnastics experience for these kids and TOPS is only one of them.

My daughter benefitted and enjoyed her experience with TOPS program. Our gym does not charge for TOPS training. The coach just picks and chooses certain gymnasts and trains them sporadically on the side. Going to the ranch is great and the kids enjoy it as well as the recognition that they are TOPS athletes. But in the big gymnastics picture, TOPS offers no guarantees. In fact, for every TOPS athlete that goes to elite, you'll find two (or three) who did not. If it is a financial strain, I would limit expenses related to TOPS. But if you have a lot of cash, why not?

My dd trains tops at our gym, but we have not heard anything about going to test. I thank you for posting what all is involved IF she actually makes the team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back