Parents DD is Moving On From Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She has really been struggling this year with mental blocks on 3 out of 4 events and is really not enjoying the fears. She says after she learns these three scary skills (BWO on beam, BHSBT, Flyaway - which flew away on vacation in September) there will be scarier skills. She LOVES floor and dance. So she is moving on to acro dance (and will explore other dance styles this summer).

I already gave 30 days notice (required by our contract) because I was having difficulty getting a meeting with the coaches... We will have a meeting with the Coaches on Tuesday and will go in with an open mind (at least I will) but DD is pretty adamant about quitting.

She tried acro and loved it. She was sad, but only when she talked about giving up her dreams. Her pros and cons list for gym had competition, friends, handstands, and splits. So I think acro will be a perfect fit.

I'm a little sad, because I hate to see her leave because of fear, but I don't think it is just fear. And she isn't quitting she is branching out to something that will be a better fit for her. So we are really looking forward to it.

So I feel very melancholy about it, but I'm sure I will feel better once she makes the transition. I know my pocket book will be very happy!

Good for her! That is a very adult decision and acro sounds like a great fit. She can stilll flip and dance without the pesky bars and beam. Your checkbook will be much happier. Sounds like a a good move all around.

Of course, you can still come and post about her accomplishments. We love to hear about how all the kids are doing.

I really hope she enjoys the dance...and you never know when she might want to switch back...those "3 scary skills" are similar to my older DD's fears also. She had the BWO and now it is gone, the BT hasn't made it off the tumble track, and the flyaway scares ME when I see her do it. She seems very afraid of the BT and when I talk about her having to work it for next season, she gets this terrified look on her face and changes the subject. She is also doing dance team(not acro, unfortunately we don't have that) and loves it. She may transition away from gym too after this season, I don't know. It's so hard. Good luck with your meeting with the coaches. It sounds like she is pretty peaceful with her decision. I hope the meeting goes well. I hope you stick around too. You are always a good voice of reason around here! :)

Good luck to your dd and good for her making such a mature decision. Gymnastics is such a demanding sport and if it's not fun anymore, what's the point? Sounds like she is a level 6 so has a lot to be proud of making it this far in the sport. I'm sure the acro team is thrilled to have her as well as any dance school will be. Please keep us posted.

don't know about over there, but acro here is very expensive for comps, you have to have a different leo for different routines which is 2 or 3, and they have to custom made to suit the music

Thanks everyone for your support. Always a great place to come for support...

Sally: was warned about the money, will still be less thatn $500/month + comp fees + leos for gym... :)

bookworm: emptied my box - Thanks!

don't know about over there, but acro here is very expensive for comps, you have to have a different leo for different routines which is 2 or 3, and they have to custom made to suit the music

In UK acro is sports acro (like spelbound)- in US it is a form of dance with competitions - which is it in australia?

mtbmom--my dd made this similar decision for many of the same reasons, and I can just tell you that her transition from gymnastics went extremely smoothly. The hardest part was the initial shock of "not doing gymnastics anymore", but she quickly became immersed in her dance schedule and is doing beautifully!!! I think your dd will do GREAT at acro dance--it really sounds like the best of both worlds for her. Giving her a chance to explore the other dance styles is also a great idea--my dd loves lyrical and is now hooked on jazz (her sassy attitude and personlity suits it well!).

Best of luck to you and your dd and stay in touch here at CB. We love hearing about all the new things our kids are doing!!!

I suspect at some point my DD will do the same. I think the BHS on the beam will be her quitting point. Don't quote me on that, but knowing her pretty well, I think that may be it.

Best wishes for your DD and her acro journey- my DD will always stay in some form of gymnastics/tumbling/acro/dance I suspect too. I hope your DD has a fantastic time!

Best of luck to your DD as she transitions from gym to acro. It should be a good fit for her and who knows....that gym bug can bite at anytime and she may decide to come back. I know it is hard to leave behind all those years spent in the gym but it sounds like she has a very level head and has thought it through.

I know my DD would love to do acro if she could still do uneven bars. I think that is what keeps her in gym. If she could quit doing balance beam and focus on floor and bars only she would be the happiest girl on the planet!! LOL!

Keep us posted on her new accomplishments!

It sounds like she has given this alot of thought. Good luck to her in acro and I hope you'll let us know how she is doing!

Good Luck to you on your next journey! Sounds like the acro will be a perfect transition for her and she is excited about it! Are you the Pa mom that used to go to same gym as Nellyinpa's DD? I miss her, as our DD's started (and we started here) about the same time. If you still see/keep in touch tell her to come back and "visit" and please come back & keep us posted on how the acro goes! There are a few good gyms here in NJ that have acro now & I think it is beautiful!

Good luck to your daughter. It has been around 8 months since my daughter left the gym but I we are adjusting. Level 6 was also a challenge for her mostly the tumblingughter grew a lot last year was in a lot of pain and eventhough she conquered all those level 6 tumbling skills she was just not enjoying the sport any more she told me later she was just not having fun. She competed from the age of 7 to 11 with 3 to 4 hour practices every Friday and Saturday for 4 years and went all summer during that time. And believe it or not up until last year she totally adored the sport which is why when she quit I really had a hard time ecspecailly since she finish level 6 made it to States. I kept thinking that she would want to continue since she would be an optional this year. But I think she realized that the skills were gonna keep getting harder and gymnastics is so competitive plus she was in constant pain from the severs and when her wrist started to hurt again, she had stress fx which started in level5 she just had enough of the sport and the commitment it takes. Daughter is happy with her decision is still busy but has some more time to hang out with her friends. She is now involved in Irish dance does regular dance just started point is cheering for her school team( I was totally againest this but it is really not that involved they only do a few competitions but it is great that she can do it with her school friends. She is also swimiming for her scholl and will swim in the summer at our swim cclub. I would let your daughter try different things before committing to just one thing she will do great my daughter has picked up other sports so easily because gymnastics really puts them in great shape. But I would let her decide maybe have the coach talk to her without you to find out if this is really what she wants. It is sad but gymnastics is a really tough sport and most kids do move. It is really hard for us parents when they do. I still compare other sports to gymnastics and still miss the meets and the friendships I had with the other parents in the gym. Good luck

Good Luck to you on your next journey! Sounds like the acro will be a perfect transition for her and she is excited about it! Are you the Pa mom that used to go to same gym as Nellyinpa's DD? I miss her, as our DD's started (and we started here) about the same time. If you still see/keep in touch tell her to come back and "visit" and please come back & keep us posted on how the acro goes! There are a few good gyms here in NJ that have acro now & I think it is beautiful!

Yes, I am still in touch with NettyinPA. I know her DD is doing really well. I will tell her you guys are missing her and I'm sure she'll pop in with an update.

Glad your dd is moving forwards. It would be nice to hear how she is getting on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back