WAG Dd moved to 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
Ok, so maybe some of you remember my last post about lv4 move ups.. here's what's going on now. My dd is move up to 4 after I pulled the coach aside and really spoke to her about me and my dds concern. So for now, we are staying at this gym. Coach agreed to move my dd but told me that dd will be staying at 4 for 2 years because she said 4 is a level that is a fundation for optionals. And that whatever happens my dd will stay in 4 unless she's scoring 9s on all events. When she said this in front of me and my dd, I felt discourage because it's so early to predict what's gonna happen. I felt like she has given my dd no Chance to excel at all because she is already predicting what will happen and I felt like she has no hope that my dd might do good. I felt like she has given up without even giving my dd a chance. I felt discourage and I try so hard to no let me dd feel all her negativities.
Going to a new gym right now is kinda hard and not an option for us. Our situation has change and too much change I'm afraid will affect all parties involved :(

Sorry I had to vent. I am discourage and I feel like this coach is not making it easy. Why speak too soon? My dd is hard worker, not the most talented but she works hee but off. Shes young but so mature for her age. Can you really predict someone's gymnastics future in these low level of gymanstics? Coaches, can you really tell if an athlete is gonna do good or not within a year?

How did she do at states? Did she get into top 10?
I think the coach is just being realistic. Level 4 is a tough level, and very few get all 9s in their first year. My DD just went through a rough level 4 season, and I won't mind at all if she has to repeat it. Really, it's better repeat to 4, than 3! So, congrats!

Reactions: sce
Yes she made it 6th aa. And I figured if she has to repeat, better 4 than 3. I just felt discourage because she hasn't even started training for 4 yet

A lot of gyms around us repeat Level 4. Then many of those same gyms skip Level 5 and go directly to either Level 6 or 7.

Strong fundamentals are necessary to compete well in optionals. There are many ways for gyms to be successful. You as the parent need to decide whether you can truly be ok with the way your gym is running their program.

You are getting a lot more information from your coaches than many people do in the same circumstances. And I believe if a gymnast is not consistently getting 9s in Level 4 that there could be a lot of value in repeating Level 4.

Since your coaches are giving you this information now - you really do have the chance to make an informed choice. You can stay at your current gym (and by doing so accept what they are telling you as what will happen), or you can leave your gym now. I think the only wrong decision is to stay at your current gym and then hope the gym will change their mind or the way they run their program. That will only give you and the coaches a lot of unnecessary grief.

Good luck with your decision. :)

I forgot to add, because of the coach rule top 10 at state. Only 2 are moving to 4. One of it is my dd. I personally think that the girls got too much pressure and didn't do too well because of this.

I totally relate to this because at my old gym, all though I had all my skills and everything they were not willing to move me up to L4 no matter what happens. Since my parents and I wanted for me to move to L4 and not to repeat the same level again, the gym suggested the XCEL program. We considered it, however, we discovered that it was their first year doing it so we wanted a gym who was more experienced. That was when we switched gyms. Good luck!

I'm glad she made the cutoff! (still not liking that there WAS a cutoff...)

Try not to be too discouraged. I find sometimes the coaches are negatiive sounding only so that certain moms don't come back next year and say "You said Little Suzy would be FIVE now!", that sort of thing. If they are going to err in what they say, it is almost better to be on the not promising side to some moms.

Just keep being proud and encouraging, and good luck next year!

Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad. 4 is a tough level,way harder than 3. A lot of gyms will tell you to count on 2 years at each level, and then adjust from there. It sounds like you're in a gym where coaches don't over promise and under deliver :)

That's great she moved to 4!!
I'm sorry that you're feeling down about the conversation, but I think the coach may just be letting you know that just because your DD is a 4 this year doesn't mean she will be a 5 next year. She did say that she would move up if she got all 9s, so it's not a definite thing.
;)

Im,glad that this is something I should not worry too much. I guess I get discourage easy. And still learning this world of gymnastics. ":)

Well, you got what you wanted and your dd moved to level 4, yay! They are giving her a chance. if things continue to be frustrating/bad and they want to hold her at level 4 for a 2nd year at that point you could move gyms. Take this year to see how your dd does, what she wants out of gymnastics and research other gyms if moving gyms now is not realistic.

We knew we needed to switch gyms with my oldest (many years ago) but logistically couldn't do it so we stayed another year at our old gym before switching. it worked out fine.

Not to mention, if she's not scoring 9s as a 4, she may not be ready for 5. Just enjoy the ride! The coaches are placing girls where they feel they'll be most successful :)

I think 9s to move is much more realistic and much more reasonable then then top 10 at states.

You actually know how close you are and what to work toward. You're scoring 8.2 and 8.3 you have a way to go. You're scoring 8.8 your close. And you have multiple opportunities to improve and to score higher.

A much better thing then that ranking at states

It won't necessarily be getting a 9 on the FHS vault that will a problem, although for some it really is HARD there is a reason it takes 3-4 years to master that vault for some. It will be flipping the vault in L8 that is the harder part. So while she might start scoring 9s right away in L4 it could take her a lot longer to start flipping a tsusk or Yerchenko.

I don't know if this helps, but in April/May each year we sit down and meet with one of the coaches to discuss how the previous year went and their expectations for the following year. Each year they have told me DD was going to repeat a level the following season, but each year they moved her up after summer up-training. On the flip side, they told one girl she was going to move up this year and she ended up repeating because she didn't get all the skills she needed. She's bordering on quitting because she's so down about thinking she was going to be the next level up, but not getting there. That's my long winded way of saying, as long as the day to day is positive for your daughter, I wouldn't read too much into their prediction for the season after next. That's a long time away.

While I'm sure that was not enjoyable to listen to, take it as a grain of salt and continue to move forward. Let's not even worry about 2 years from now- let's set skill and strength goals and think about today. Train hard for level 4. See what that brings. Lots more good competition in level 4. If you are staying at this gym find the positive in what you are doing now. Focus on skills, strength and shaping. I don't think coaches really set out to make people mad or upset, sometimes they have knowledge that you will never know ( let alone understand). If you stay at this gym- make it a great experience. Sometimes what I have felt to be the WORST possible things for my child- turned out in the end to be PERFECT for them. Work hard- enjoy the ride!

Sounds like you got what you wanted. If I were you I would sit tight, and leave it ALLL alone.....she is training 4..... Sounds like the coach just wants to bring you down a bit.....now let her coach, and let your daughter learn and try not to get much more involved.
I'm not trying to offend, but teachers have a lot of goals for a lot of kids. If you pulled her aside and asked her to train your DD L4, and she said yes, there is no way you can expect anything more. If your DD rocks it, then she will move no matter what. If she is scoring mid 9s in L4, then that is great.....but no one can tell the future, neither coaches, nor parents, so sit back and relax.

Almost everyone repeats level 4 at our gym. We even have two classes "L4s" and "second year L4s". In fact, that's really common at a lot of gyms around here, to be honest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back