Parents Dd starting on Friday

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seagull00

Proud Parent
My dd8 is starting gymnastics on Friday. She's so excited and I am too. She's been begging to start for 2 years. She can do a cartwheel, and a one handed cartwheel, splits and a round off . How fast do kids usually move up? She's starting level one. She's been stretching for a half hour every day on her own to get ready.

Awww, I'm excited for you guys. My DD is 7 and is on level 3 competitive team (training for level 4). Your DD's rate of progression will depend on a lot of different factors as there really is no set formula for all gyms (or even within one gym for that matter). Just tell her to have fun. Some things you can control to help her along ...

Make sure she doesn't miss practices
Make sure she's there on time
Tell her to follow directions
No crying or complaining
Be enthusiastic. doesn't seem like that will be a problem :)
And just have fun and work hard every day

At these early levels/young age it seems like the main thing they are looking for is a kid who is "coachable". Easy to work with, willing to follow directions and willing to work hard.

My DD was 8 when she started rec gym. She started competing the old L3 at age 9. She is now 14 and is Level 7.

So many things factor into how quickly she can move up.
Injury and fear are the 2 big ones that come to mind. If she can stay healthy and fearless she could move very quickly. Tell her to listen to the coaches and work hard and most importantly to have fun!!

Sounds like a great start! Like others posted, each gym and child is different. Some will just go 1 level per year as the norm regardless of age, while others will see potential and work harder to move up kids faster who already have some skills or are older. We don't have L1 or L2 (it's just pre-team until L3). L1-2 skills are pretty basic - most of those are easy for girls to get, but it's the FORM while executing those skills, or other factors like flexibility or strength that I have noticed might hold them back from advancing. I have seen several girls (on the older side - age 7-9 when starting) make L3 in just a year of starting gym - and in our gym that means being near 90% competition ready with all L3 skills. Often the older (8-10) girls are better at body control and pick up form (look pretty while moving) much faster than "the littles", many of whom still look kinda fumbly and noodly even when they have the skills. So if strength and flexibility are on track with her skill acquisition, she has a great potential to make quick progress. So exciting! We're only 1 year in ourselves (new L3) so I can so relate to your questions :D

She's very flexible, watches tv with a leg over her head... Our gym evaluates for leveling up every 10 week session. At week 7 they get evaluated. I'm hoping she loves it as much as she's built it up to be:)

I definitely depends on the kid! I'm not all that experienced with the later starters, as my DD started at the Mommy and Me level, but there is a huge difference in levels even within the same age groups.

Having good flexibility is a great start. If she is truly interested in competitive gymnastics, do let the coach know that she would like to be on a pre team....... maybe at that 7 week mark.

Good luck to her! I hope she has a blast!

I can't speak for how quickly she will move up, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading about her enthusiasm (and yours)! My daughter is still a "little" but has a similar enthusiasm for gymnastics. I hope that, no matter what, your daughter finds joy in pursuing her desire!

We had an 8 yo start pre team (my DDs group) last yr. She was a 'natural' & moved quickly to the lvl 3 group. She is now 9 & competes lvl 5 (I think) & does very well at competitions. So you never know.

Today is the day! Normally it takes her a few minutes to wake up and want to be human...(she is the anti morning person) today she was downstairs getting ready in 2 minutes!she begged for gymnastics hair for school, so she has a high ponytail :) She's so excited, she was doing cartwheels and splits while waiting for the bus. I can't wait to help her get ready for class this afternoon. She's already picked out her leotard, and leggings, and the coordinating ponytail holders. Grandma's going with us to her first class to show her support:)

Awww, I'm excited for you guys. My DD is 7 and is on level 3 competitive team (training for level 4). Your DD's rate of progression will depend on a lot of different factors as there really is no set formula for all gyms (or even within one gym for that matter). Just tell her to have fun. Some things you can control to help her along ...

Make sure she doesn't miss practices
Make sure she's there on time
Tell her to follow directions
No crying or complaining
Be enthusiastic. doesn't seem like that will be a problem :)
And just have fun and work hard every day

At these early levels/young age it seems like the main thing they are looking for is a kid who is "coachable". Easy to work with, willing to follow directions and willing to work hard.
Ditto this!
Very exciting and I hope tonight is everything she dreamed!
Don't sweat the moving up part for a while. Even though she can do some things already, they may or may not be what the coaches need to move her to the next level (rec, preteam, whatever). She may need lots of corrections to form. She may need set skills to move up (at our gym for instance, you are not moving past the first rec level until you can do a pullover consistently, regardless of other skills...). I obviously have no clue whether she will be moved soon or what her club requirements are, just giving you the heads up that there might be a lot more behind it than what you see. :)
Enjoy the fun of it, let her enjoy it and see what happens! It's awesome that she is stretching at home, bodes well for the future!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back