DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
OK... D's level 8 high bar routine is
stem, kip, cast above 45, free hip to underswing turn, back uprise, pause, back giant X2, blind change, front giant X2, piroutette, back giant X2 layout flyaway.

What is the deduction for the pause?
IF he doesn't pause after the back uprise does that eliminate that deduction?
He has a toe on toe off, albeit ugly. Would that be better inplace of the free hip?

So: stem, kip, cast above45, back giant X2, blind change, front giant X2, toe on.toe off, front giant, piroutette, back giant X2 layout flyaway.

He is trying to figure this out today and wanted me to ask whether it would be better to stick with the routine he knows and score about 9.6 on consistently, or to try something different

Just to add..he has scored as high as 10.5 with this routine. actually, usually in the mid 8s.

I really have no clue. I just knwo where he is scoring, and it is usually 8.5-8.9 with one 9.6 and one 10.5. (one 7 something but he fell on that one).

Hopefully a coach will analyze this. I think the under swing turn may count as an empty swing. My inclination is that he'd score higher with a shorter routine. I think I'd get rid of skills that don't go to handstand. Is there any chance he could get his kip cast to handstand?

He is so close. I think he can. That would help. He has so many extra swings this year...killing him LOL. So hoping that having a coach over the summer will help this year. RIght now, he is just hoping to make it to regionals. LOL And high bar is his worst event..

This is a total guess, but the 10.5 is a pretty big jump from the other scores, which makes my think he's not generally getting credit for an in bar skill and did that one time.

You could be right. HIs clear hip is questionable on whether or not he will get credit for it. That is wwhy he was wondering if the toe on/toe off wuold be better. He almost has his endo, but not ready to compete...hopefully by regionals.

Iknow. that is my hesitation...He can do the skills he is looking at adding, but will it be worth it?

I know nothing about scoring in optionals, so I can't help there... But, it does seem awfully risky to switch things up the day before. If he's confident he can qualify to regionals with what he's got, that seems safer than trying to make a last minute change.

I agree, but he is so excited. here is what they are working:

Mixed grip stemme, backupise, ,undershoot to hand change into front giantsX2 , toe on toe off, piroutte, back giants X2 ,dismount

D knows this might be regionals. If he can't get it, they are considering.

mixed grip kip cast hand change to front giants then the same, but that one is one skill short I think

other wise he is doing
Stemme, kip cast,back giants, blind change, front giants, toe on toe off, front giant, pirouette, back giants layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back