Parents different types of competitive programs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mollyzoe

Proud Parent
I am a new gymnastics parent and curious about the various types of competitive programs (TOPS, JO, ETC). Could someone explain the different programs? My daughter is about to move to preteam and we are considering switching gyms. I am wondering if we should look for a gym with a particular type of program that might suit us best. Thanks in advance!

TOPS is a USAG program that identifies young girls that have the potential to become Elite. Some gyms go through the TOPS testing and implement the suggestions from the TOPS clinics just for those identified girls... Other gyms implement the suggestions for all gymnasts... and still others don't do the testing, but still implement the suggestions. The girls still compete JO, but they seem to be moved through compulsories as quickly as possible in order to get to Optionals sooner.

JO is a USAG Level program. There are 10 Levels and levels 1-5 are compulsory (all gymnasts in a level compete the same routines)... but USAG only requires a minimum score to move up starting with Level 4. Level 6 is a new Optional Level this year and it is not required... if the gymnast has the skills to go to Level 7, then they can skip level 6... it is a really watered down Optional level.

Xcel is a USAG program. It is less intense than JO and is an Optional Only program. From the lowest level, the girls are competing routines made up for them (some gyms choose to use the same basic routine for all their Bronze or a choice of 2-3 for them. At Silver, some gyms do a few options of music and others do all individual music and routines... for Gold, Platinum, and Diamond, they definitely get their own music and routines). Gold is the first division that has a required minimum score to move up.

USAIGC is not USAG affiliated. It is Optional routines only, but is designed for gymnasts to peak at the higher levels in High School (supposedly to prepare them to compete in college).

AAU is not USAG either, but they do use the USAG lower levels (compulsories) as the starting point. Districts can choose to use certain modifications if they want. I think AAU goes through Level 8 and then has an "Open Optionals" level... think- Level 9/10.

I know there are more, but these seem to be the most common mentioned on here.

TOPS is a USAG program that identifies young girls that have the potential to become Elite. Some gyms go through the TOPS testing and implement the suggestions from the TOPS clinics just for those identified girls... Other gyms implement the suggestions for all gymnasts... and still others don't do the testing, but still implement the suggestions. The girls still compete JO, but they seem to be moved through compulsories as quickly as possible in order to get to Optionals sooner.

JO is a USAG Level program. There are 10 Levels and levels 1-5 are compulsory (all gymnasts in a level compete the same routines)... but USAG only requires a minimum score to move up starting with Level 4. Level 6 is a new Optional Level this year and it is not required... if the gymnast has the skills to go to Level 7, then they can skip level 6... it is a really watered down Optional level.

Xcel is a USAG program. It is less intense than JO and is an Optional Only program. From the lowest level, the girls are competing routines made up for them (some gyms choose to use the same basic routine for all their Bronze or a choice of 2-3 for them. At Silver, some gyms do a few options of music and others do all individual music and routines... for Gold, Platinum, and Diamond, they definitely get their own music and routines). Gold is the first division that has a required minimum score to move up.

USAIGC is not USAG affiliated. It is Optional routines only, but is designed for gymnasts to peak at the higher levels in High School (supposedly to prepare them to compete in college).

AAU is not USAG either, but they do use the USAG lower levels (compulsories) as the starting point. Districts can choose to use certain modifications if they want. I think AAU goes through Level 8 and then has an "Open Optionals" level... think- Level 9/10.

I know there are more, but these seem to be the most common mentioned on here.

Thanks this is SOOOO helpful!

What is pre-op? Or am I saying that wrong?

Also, if xcel is less intense then about how many hours would you expect them to practice per week? I would assume much less than in the more intense programs? Thanks!

Prep-op is the old name for xcel. They renamed it last year, I think, but many gyms, ours including, still call them "prep-op". My DD was xcel bronze last year, she practiced 5 hrs\week. For comparison, now she is level 3 JO and practices 10 hrs.

Prep-op is the old name for xcel. They renamed it last year, I think, but many gyms, ours including, still call them "prep-op". My DD was xcel bronze last year, she practiced 5 hrs\week. For comparison, now she is level 3 JO and practices 10 hrs.

Thanks! Also very helpful.

As for choosing a gym goes.........

It really depends on the sum of your family's philosophy about sports and your child"s level of interest, discipline, goal structure, and many more. It's probably not possible to get it 100% right, but it never hurts to take every thing into consideration while choosing.

Knowing yourself, your family, and your daughter is an easy first step, but after that you need to get to know any program/gym you're considering prior making a commitment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back