WAG Dislocated finger

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yesterday at practice I dislocated my finger while doing a back tuck on floor. It seems really stupid considering I have been doing them on beam for 2 years. But it was part of our conditioning and my legs were already very tired.
We went to the hospital and they put it back. They said 2-3 weeks nothing involving my hands :( and then 3-4 weeks limmited.
It seems long to me, has anyone have gone trough somthing similar? How long did it take to heal? And what things can I do, besides conditioning and stretching? Not looking for medical advise, ;)

Yes it takes a long time to heal. I did that stunting in cheer in college and it was months before it was fully healed, and I seemed to catch it on EVERYTHING in the process. OUCH!

My DD dislocated her pinky a couple of years ago at a meet. After they put it back in she finished the meet in a lot of pain but was told it she wouldn't damage it further. At practice the next two weeks she avoided bars and beam tumbling but I thinks she still vaulted and did floor. It was off season so I don"t know it that's why her coach gave her a rest or not. After two weeks she was back to everything. I think it still hurt for a while though. I know she kept her finger taped to her other finger for a while. I hope it heals quickly for you.

There was a Doc at the meet so it was put back in less then minutes after it happened. Maybe because it was put back in so quickly there was less swelling.

Did it a few years ago. After resetting the fingers, it was a good 3 or 4 weeks before my pinky was pretty useable.

For pullups, I would do them in a band or omit using the pink and just let it hang out free. It stung to touch anything though but I was able to work with parallettes or rings but handstands were hit and miss and no tumbling.

In baseball years ago I would just tape the finger to the ring finger and tough it on when wearing a glove. Luckily it wasn't on my throwing hand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back