do club level gymnasts look down on high school gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's an unfair comparison because of the smaller amount of time high school gymnasts who aren't also club gymnasts spend in the gym, but...yes.

We came from the Y gym, which is where most of the HS gymnasts train, and switched to a private gym, where the HS girls don't have enough time for HS gym, plus are (understandably) afraid of hurting themselves on the less-than-fantastic HS equipment. From what I have seen and heard, there is tension there. Not between all of them... some of the HS gymnasts come to our open gyms and are friends with our gymnasts, but there is definitely some stress between the "queen bees" from the HS gym team and the upper level club gymnasts . Though I don't think it necisarily comes from the club gymnasts looking down on the HS gymnasts. I suspect that the club gymnasts would sometimes like it if there scores were read during the morning announcements or if they got to wear their warm-ups to school on meet day and be recognized by their classmates for what they do. And I suspect that the HS gymnasts would love to be able to do some of the higher level skills that their club counterparts are able to do. I think there is both jealousy and a feeling of "my way is the best way" on both sides.

no. gymnasts respect one another. AND NO ATTITUDE TALK..."whatever" or "whatevah". save that for wherever that is used that is NOT HERE. thank you.:)

My HS gymnasts don't come in contact with club kids, but we compete against teams that have a mixture of club and solely HS girls and the team dynamics generally seem to be pretty good. There is a lot of mutual respect for what is going on, the HS gymnasts respecting the club kids dedication to their sport in the off season and respect from the club girls for the solely HS kids who have picked up a remarkable amount in a short amount of time and with limited equipment. I haven't experienced these teams close up or in practices, so I can't say that with complete certainty, but in many cases the feeling of team togetherness is better from these schools than from the one where I coach which has no club gymnasts.
There are always exceptions, but it definitely doesn't seem to be the rule.

I think club coaches would be the ones to look down on HS gymnastics but the gymnast I don't think have an opinion one way or the other at least not from my experience. It like comparing apples with grapes they are both fruit but different. HS gymnastics is gymnastics but it is different its hard to compare things that are similar but still different. I guess it will depend on what you are comparing between the two.

^ seconding dunno on the incomplete sentences/slang talk here, it makes the board look sloppy and no one wants that!

But on the topic, personally I had problems with high school gymnasts having a problem with me being a club gymnast. I joined our school's gym team my freshman year. I'd been on a club team since I was little and started competing L 10 when I was 11 almost 12. During middle school I'd gone to JO Nationals and even placed the year I was in 8th grade. The high school I go to is the only school in our entire county and not that big (800ish kids). There's not a club gym in our entire county either, just intro rec classes at the local rec center. This means most girls who do gymnastics do it at the high school level (a few have moved here and done club where they used to live) and on our HS team were around a level 6, maybe 7. The older girls were very cruel to me and said things like I should be at the special olympics. Our coach was a younger girl who had been a gymnast at our high school and was friends with the girls on the team.

Not every HS team is like this at all though. My cousin was a club gymnast and went through L 8. She then went out for her high school team which was down in the Denver area at a bigger suburban school near lots of really really good club teams. She had a really great time and most of her HS team was from the different clubs originally and just wanted a break and to do a HS sport.

So if you're worried that doing HS gymnastics will make club girls look down on you I don't think they will at all.

There will always be girls that think they are better...I teach my dd to tell her fellow gymnasts what a great job their doing when she see's how hard they are trying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back