Parents Do I say something?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dancingimmie

Proud Parent
Ok, so I'm a newbie. My DD is a new level 3 &, since my gym has no pre team or level 3 team except for my DD and 1 other girl, they train with the xcel silvers/gold.
So here's my problem; a couple of weeks ago I showed up 30 minutes early to pick up my DD and see what's going on. When I walk in I can hear the compuslerary coach yelling across the gym trying to correct my DD. Apparently the xcel coach, for the lasts 4 months, has been teaching them the wrong turn, arms on the straight jump and prep for a leap. They weren't even standing on the beam properly for compuslerary. The HC isn't there on that particular day and communication is not so great. Do I say something? She has only been on "team " for the last 4& 1/2 months and 4 of them they were practicing wrong. To make matters even more complicated I teach ballet to the optionals... Being a former professional ballet dancer I know how important technique is. On the same note I know this is a good gym and this is something new they are doing. They have never competed level 3 until now. Should I let them know that this has been going on or do I bite my tounge???

Why do they have two girls doing level 3? Who is the compulsory coach if they are not coaching the level 3s? That said, in some places even compulsory season is a few months off, so even if they were learning turns, leaps, and such I'm not really sure it's going to be a problem for them to pick up the level 3 routine. The correct way to stand on beam is the same for compulsory, optional, and Xcel.

Since you say you know it's a good gym, and they have optionals (to whom you teach ballet), assumably they have a good path to get your DD to those levels. I'm kinda confused though - if there is a compulsory coach across the gym, what is she/he teaching? Level 4/5? If so, how did those girls on level 4/5 get to that level without a pre-team? Who taught them? Or do you mean there is just currently not enough girls at your daughter's level to have a formal pre-team class, so this year, the Xcel coaches teach her? If that is the case, I'd be less worried about text-errors in the compulsory routine (e.g., hands in wrong position on turn), and more concerned that the Xcel coach (and program) is going to give your daughter the proper fundamentals and technique to reach level 4 and beyond. Who taught the girls currently in levels 4/5 before they were level 4/5?

Again, if you are confident in the gym, and they have success in compulsory and optionals, then most likely all is well, even if level 3 (being new to your gym) ends up having some text errors and your daughter losing a few tenths. The more important question is to make sure she is learning all the right drills, conditioning, and fundamental skills that will get her to 4 and beyond. Others may disagree, but that's my 2 cents (as a parent of a level 4 who did level 3 last year).

Well, when you express your concern, which hat are you wearing? The mom hat, or the hat of the optional dance coach who foresees problems ahead if technique is being taught incorrectly? You're the dance person, but my sense is that, while text errors aren't something over which to worry, incorrect technique is, and if you see this as a problem in your capacity as a dance coach, then you probably should speak up.

Well, when you express your concern, which hat are you wearing?

That is an excellent question... I have, in my years of teaching, herd many dance studio owners say they wish they knew sooner when there was an issue. But that being said, it is mostly just text errors, except the turn that was technique. It has been addressed so i think letting it go is the best thing. I just needed to "talk it out".
Thank you for all the advice!!

Just my 2 cents. Is she being taught the correct basics, especially form, that is more important than text at level 3. Bad habits not corrected now can take more than a year/years to correct once muscle memory sets in, problem my D still has.
If the compulsory coach yelled across the gyn, then she is watching. As for lack of communication welcome to gymnastics. Our gym runs on the don't ask, don't tell rules

Yay! No communication.... Help! I'm type A!!!

That being said, I do think she is being taught the correct basics. They are consistently correcting form. But she's only practicing 6 hours a week which seems low for a level 3? Can she truly be competitive with only 6 hours a week?

She is 7. Again stop thinking "competitive" it should be fun, an introduction. Gymnastics is a process, layers upon layers. Who cares if she is competitive at level 3 that is not the point - well unless you are in Texas :D The building blocks are the point of level 3, it is why many gyms don't compete it. Don't get on the crazy train this early, trust me. Sit back, let your daughter learn, erase the word competitive from your vocabulary. The hours will come and when those 18 hour weeks arrive you will be wishing for the days of 6 hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back