Do they not care?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i was at gym when i reliezed this and i'm sure you could see my heart melting into my chest; the coaches have a couple girls they are tougher on ("you know you have this skill now DO IT!") they push them to get better skills and to have better rutines giving corections and punishments for when they don't make thier assignments.
I noticed that several of the "other" gymnasts (me semi included most of the time about 98%) can stand around for hours on end and not do a single skill and not get in trouble.
I have never seen this at a gym before when i was trying them out but it consitently happens everyday at the gym i am currently at. When mentioned to one of my gym friends she says they don't push me because i will push myself (which is true), but anyone can tell that a gymnasts mind is nothing compared to the focus of a coach.
Wow, i just realized this is a really long vent. Does anyone have any opinions about this gym, coaches, or what i should do?

They should be giving you equal attention at least as far as bettering your skills and corrections are concerned. Maybe those girls slack off and need to extra reminders? I am obviously not there so I don't know? What level are you? Sometimes at higher levels you are expected to be more self motivated, but you should still be receiving coaching as that is what you pay for. Is it an all the time thing with these specific girls? Do they behave badly or slack off? I know I have had kids I had to push and push and be right on them all the time and other girls whom I could watch and calmy give a correction to who would fix it.

Well coaches will give each gymnast what they feel they need. The more self motivated ones may not need as much time as the less self motivated. I don't know If I agree with equal time as some don't need as much time to get things as others. I think equal coaching is may be a better term. Coach the team so the gymnasts are balanced. You know no favorite super gym queens no left out struggling boarder line gymnasts. I believe every child is different and some may need that extra 5 min to get a skill or that extra push from the coach until they get that self confidence. What ever it takes to make a consistant team I'm all for as opposed to a team with 3 or 4 super stars and the rest average.

Either way I don't like to see the "punishment" stuff for not getting a skill in a specific time.

I also don't like to see gymnasts just standing around waiting for a coach for hours either. Self motivated gymnasts will find something to work on even if its just stretching while they wait.

ok so i understand the girls that retain the focus of the coaches may slack a bit but they get skills quickly and the coaches are still always on them to get better skills even if they are afraid. And on vault i get no corrections, at all, the coach will barely watch me.
It just really makes me mad.

I feel for you. I see this happen too. The hard working middle of the pack kids can be almost ignored as they will 'get on' by themselves. In the long run this will affect your routines as you aren't getting the tiny corrections you need constantly to become a better gymnast. The attention usually goes to the 'demanding' gymnast (whether naturally talented or not) and the naturally physically talented gymnast who has massive physical potential(whether demanding or not)

So if you want lots of attention from coaches (and that will make you a better gymnast) you need to either have natural physical potential or be a pain in the a**. LOL.
So my advice is stop being ignored and start carrying on!!!!!

It is wrong but true. Grrrrrrr.

Since I don't know your coaches personalities I can only give you suggestions for you. My advice is to ask for the corrections, for example after a vault give the coach an idea of what you felt was right/wrong with the vault and see what they say. This lets them know your are interested in bettering your skills and want more from them :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back