Parents Do you all get so nervous for your kids before a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
Every meet it is like this for me. My dd is in her 2nd year competing (L5 last year, L6 this year). We will be leaving in a bit for her first meet of the season and I'm just SO nervous.

Her L6 team is really big (17 girls! That seems big to me) and there are so many in her age group and many of them are REALLY good. Last year, she watched all her friends get medals in the first 2 meets while she sat there with nothing. It was literally all of her friends. She was one of only 2 girls on her team not to medal at all during the first 2 meets. She did go on to medal in all the remaining meets, including a 6th place on beam at states, so hopefully she can hold onto her memory of working and reaching her goals if today doesn't go well.

She's got a mental block on her back walkover on beam and I'm hoping she can just get through it....even if it isn't pretty.

Sorry....just rambling. She seems calm....so I must project it, too. :cool:

My ds hardly ever seems nervous. He is very loose and easy going, and is always having a great time at meets. I think it helps him do well.

Me....I can't eat before meets! makes it hard when the meet is at 3:15! LOL! I get nervous for him. sometimes it is just the nerves about getting there on time, traffic, having all our grips (2 pairs is a lot to remember apparently!) but I also get nervous for how he will do :)

We need to make one of those "keep calm" graphics for us parents! "Keep calm, Mom and carry on. It's just gymnastics" or something to that effect! lol

But, in all seriousness, I can totally relate. I get extremely nervous, too. And for me it all stems from wanting my DD to feel good about what she's doing, regardless of placement. She had a rough season last year and often was one of the only girls not to place on her team. She didn't seem all that bothered by it, but I know it was hard for her. So take a deep breath and try to enjoy it...I know how hard that can be sometimes!

Wishing her an awesome first meet of the season today! :)

I get incredibly nervous. Like Maryn's Mum I just want daughter to feel good about herself and it's hard to watch her do something where she could take a big knock.

I try and set sensible goals, about improving her score from last time and landing certain skills and keep the heat off any expected placement, but she always brings it back to maybe getting a medal, which makes me sick with anxiety.

Honestly, the first big comp she did, I had to stick my head between my knees for a bit cos I felt so faint. Daughter, on the other hand, was grinning away and cool as a cucumber.

Obviously I can't let her know that I am nervous and have to act like I'm not at all phased by it. I'm getting good at that :)

Good luck to her.... And you!

My nerves come more from dd's than my own. She had a rough 1.5 yrs with confidence in meets and I just felt for her at each event - seeing the nerves take over. She appears more confident with her skills this year so I am hoping this helps carry her with less anxiety this season. But she readily admits that she would prefer to train and not compete so I think the nerves are just an inherent personality trait.

Btw, one of the ways I deal with it on my end is taking photos and video. It really helps me stay calm. And it seems somewhat less "real" when I am looking through a viewfinder. I don't think I have ever "just watch" one of her routines...

I think it's normal. My sister gets nervous before her L5 DD competes. When I tease her about it, she just tells me to wait until mine is competing. Of course I'll be cool as a cucumber. It's just a meet. ;-)

I get SOOOO nervous. I just want her to do her best and be happy, and I know how upset she gets with herself if she makes a mistake.

I used to figure skate and I would throw up before every competition. I feel like that even thinking about dd's first meet coming up in 2 weeks.

Of course as a mom I have perfected the art of completely faking like I am the master of calm.

I get SOOOO nervous. I just want her to do her best and be happy, and I know how upset she gets with herself if she makes a mistake.

I used to figure skate and I would throw up before every competition. I feel like that even thinking about dd's first meet coming up in 2 weeks.

Of course as a mom I have perfected the art of completely faking like I am the master of calm.

Totally agree! I just want her to do well and be happy. And I hope I manage to keep my nerves to myself.

Yup, I get very nervous too, especially for beam. I also like to film - it keeps me busy. I often end up filming all of DD's friends too, as it keeps me occupied and not thinking so much about DD, so I'm a popular gym mom ;). I have been known to burn DVDs for everybody after the meet.

First of all it makes me a nervous wreck. Dd's first Optional meet is in 2 1/2 weeks and I feel like i could already throw up.

However, with that in mind I handle it like my mother taught me: Like a Duck on Water

Calm and serene on the outside paddling like you know what under the waters surface :)

I get nervous too. Especially for the first meet of the year which in a week and a half. But like everyone else I do my best to stay calm and collected. DD on the other hand is all business! She is a very serious when she competes and hardly ever smiles but then nothing bothers her either. One event didn't go as planned, oh well, I have three more type of attituted and then will come up afterwards just beaming! My DH tries to tease her and lighten up her mood before a meet and she just GLARES at him. She has done really well the past two years and is feeling very confident about her skills this year compared to last so she just can't wait for the season to get started next weekend!

i tend to be absolutely fine until the routine before dd
then just before her turn and during my stomach 'goes' and i think 'Dont fall or get hurt' and can breathe bt the end!
if she did worse than i know she hoped i used to DREAD her upset after - she now is so much more philosophical about it all and doesnt dissolve when she sees me !

I used to totally freak out for the whole competition, for dd, her friends, and really any other random child competing that I watched. I would just so feel for them and how well they wanted to do that I'd hold my breath, clench my stomach muscles, reach the point of closing my eyes (once I hid behind a friend when I thought a child might fall on bars). But I now just take photos, hardly watch and don't stress at all.
I hope mine and the other girls do their best but kind of distance myself. Though if dd2 ever did a comp and got a couple of top 3's (where you get medals here) then I'd be very pleased for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back