Do you compete if you're sick?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

X

x3shelbyy

I have a competition tomorrow and I have a cold/cough/sore throat etc. I feel tired and weak (and not very good in general). I really want to compete but I don't know if I should?
Do you compete when you have a cold/flu?

As a Parent I wouldn't let you compete. First you feel "tired and weak" so how do you expect to be able to do your skills safely? there will be other meets to compete in. Second you have a cold and are probably contagious so although I usually like sharing stay home and keep the germs at home instead of sharing them with every gymnast at the meet. I always hate it when I see a sick gymnast at a meet - sneezing, wiping their nose usually with their hand, arm or something other than a tissue then go on to some equipment only to have the next gymnast now come in contact with the germs.

STAY HOME there will be other meets.

Fever?...... Don't compete, you could be contagious, so stay away from your team.

Stuffy head and plugged ears that don't clear during warm-ups.......Not safe to do disorienting activities while your inner ear is messing up your balance.

Aside from that, drink plenty of water, and have a great meet.

Well, depends how bad you feel, like a month and half ago I had a horrible case of bronchitis and there is no way I could have done a floor routine without dying, I could hardly walk up stairs without wheezing so if that was me now i wouldn't compete tomorrow, however last year I had a head cold and just felt stuffy and under the weather but still competed as I felt like i could do it. Listen to you're body, it knows!

Are you contagious? If so don't compete.

Are you drained? If so don't compete as this is when an injury will occur.

If it is just a cold, I see no problem in competing.

Great advice so far!

One of my gymnasts parents allowed her to compete with tonsillitis. I didn't want her to as her coach, but she wanted to and her parents were happy to let her. Needless to say the competition didn't go well. Falls on beam (her best piece usually) She didn't make it over the vault on her first one (handstand flatback) lack lustre floor routine and bars :eek: bars was just scary.

I think I've learned my lesson to put my foot down as coach it should be my decision whether a gymnast competes no matter how much she wants to and regardless of whether her parents would allow it.

So, if you feel drained of energy don't compete! Nothing good can come of it!

If it is just a cold, then you should be ok!

when people say are you contagious? I get very frustrated as technically you are contagious when you are sick with any infectious disease as you have pathogens in you're body that you are constantly getting rid of when you blow your nose/cough/sneeze. Just because it's just a cold doesn't mean its not contagious! Sorry my inner biology nerd felt a need to have a bit of a rant, getting of my soap box!

when people say are you contagious? I get very frustrated as technically you are contagious when you are sick with any infectious disease as you have pathogens in you're body that you are constantly getting rid of when you blow your nose/cough/sneeze. Just because it's just a cold doesn't mean its not contagious! Sorry my inner biology nerd felt a need to have a bit of a rant, getting of my soap box!

Oh we mom's know this that is why we say stay at home and don't share your contagious sickness. I don't even want my DD exposed to the cold and really a cold your head is not 100% and with a sport like this balance is important and nothing messes your balance like a cold can. So I say if you are sick stay home there will be other meets.

I actually say this for kids going to school, adults going to work any where that sharing will get the population sick too. Nothing worse than passing around a cold, flu or what ever.

Two questions:

1) Are you contagious? If so, don't go. Period.

2) Do you feel like you are physically up for the challenge of safely performing all your skills? If not, don't go. Period.

Otherwise, it's up to you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back