Parents Doc Ali question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
I have a question for those of you whose kids have used the web camp and/or workbooks. Is it geared for girls?

DS is doing his first year of level 10 and has some hard skills he wants to get, but his fears do hold him back a bit. I thought it might be worth trying, but I'm thinking if it's going to be really specific like "let's practice visualizing your beam routine," it wouldn't really work for him.

Any experience?

DD is 13 and is working through the "Tame the Beast" book. The majority of the exercises are gender-neutral. There is one about a fairy godmother that is pretty girly but all of the exercises are "tough minded" and to me convey confidence/power vs gender defined roles (the title of the workbook is a good indicator of how exercises are named). Specific apparatus' are mentioned only anecdotally to give examples. The exercises are geared to where the athlete applies them on whatever event/skill they need the help on. Several of the illustrations however do feature girls. One is on a beam, one doing a yoga pose. Not all of the illustrations are of girls but there are none of boys. It's been helpful for my DD.

Dd is doing "athlete warrior" and this is geared toward all athletes in all sports. Not really gym specific, but gives gym specifics when needed. No gender bias at all.

For example, on the mental choreography chapter there were two sections, one for routine choreography and one for lets say baseball swings or other non gym sports.

My dd has really benefitted from the training. I would say visualizing has helped the most and she has really bought into this.

It is significant personal growth work though so might be difficult for some. It definitely makes you face your stuff and they have to be eager to do so and I would recommend some participation on your part to maximize the benefits. If they aren't primed to face their fears and do the hard work then I would recommend one of the other programs.

With all that said, even though my dd finds it intense sometimes she is loving the results and asks every weekend if we will have time to work on the next chapter. Her confidence has grown and she is rocking it in the gym right now. We will see how it effects things during meet season. We are just now working our way into the competition performance chapters.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back