WAG Does anyone know what the requirements will be in the new level 6 next year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
I don't think it is an exact comparison the level 7, so I am not sure what is going to be required for the new level 6. Does anyone know or have a link to the USAG website where it is listed? Thanks!

This was a link from another recent thread about this topic...http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior%20Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf

All is says for the new L6 is "A and B skills only", but that is the same as what it says for the new L7 too (so not sure what the differences will be?). It says a complete list of rules and requirements will be out in May.

There's also a link inside of there (http://usagym.org/pages/education/pdfs/13-20wjoCompProg.pdf) that will take you to a page where they list the new L1-L5 skills (which in my opionion show a slightly toned down bars and beam for the new L5 (current L6))...I am really hoping, at least in the case of bars, that this is a sign the new L6 requirements will be slightly lower than the current L7.

This was a link from another recent thread about this topic...http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior%20Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf

All is says for the new L6 is "A and B skills only", but that is the same as what it says for the new L7 too (so not sure what the differences will be?). It says a complete list of rules and requirements will be out in May.

There's also a link inside of there (http://usagym.org/pages/education/pdfs/13-20wjoCompProg.pdf) that will take you to a page where they list the new L1-L5 skills (which in my opionion show a slightly toned down bars and beam for the new L5 (current L6))...I am really hoping, at least in the case of bars, that this is a sign the new L6 requirements will be slightly lower than the current L7.

the survey that went out in late 2011-2012 alluded to level six having 1 B skill. I'm guessing it would also have less A skills. Then Level 7 would have 2-3 b skills. I would think they would also allow some C dance skills. link is below... Of course, this was just a proposed survey... Who knows what will be the end result.

:: USA Gymnastics :: Survey questions for the 2013-2017 Optional quad ::

the survey that went out in late 2011-2012 alluded to level six having 1 B skill. I'm guessing it would also have less A skills. Then Level 7 would have 2-3 b skills. I would think they would also allow some C dance skills. link is below... Of course, this was just a proposed survey... Who knows what will be the end result.

:: USA Gymnastics :: Survey questions for the 2013-2017 Optional quad ::

Is there a link somewhere that lists what A, B, C skills on each event are? Or do you have to purchase the whole Code of Points manual?

Gymmommy, I'm curious in what way the new requirements are toned down for new L5? Is it just amplitude?

Gymmommy, I'm curious in what way the new requirements are toned down for new L5? Is it just amplitude?
It's the same routine being done in the current level 6. While it doesn't specify precise angles, it's essentially the same with the expectation that gymnasts will cast and clear hip above horizontal. With compulsory skills staying essentially the same, just with level number changing, I imagine "new" level 6 will be a step between current levels 6 and 7. So that would imply, like gymgal posted, a mix of A and B skills with fewer B skills required than level 7. I think it might be similar to one of the higher prep op levels currently (gold? platinum?). So new 6 will be slightly easier than current 7 and new 7 will be slightly harder.
If it were up to me, adding a level between current 6 and 7 just doesn't make much sense because, with the exception of a few skills (adequate casts/clear hips and giants), it isn't THAT big of a leap. But what do I know? Hopefully they'll add some requirements that make the steps to upper level optionals easier (like allowing Yurchenko timers on vault).

I got the impression they are making 6 easier than the current 7, 7 harder than the current 7, 8 harder than the current 8, 9 easier than the current 9, and 10 will stay the same.

They are trying to avoid the plateau at 8 by basically shuffling the levels around and making a level 8 and 1/2 and (I think) I heard, not lose so many girls between level 6 and 7.

Is there a simple summary of A and B skills? I tried to find it once, thought I even looked at the code online, but my tiny brain was not able to figure it out.

On bars, the "no specific angle above horizontal" on the casts and free hip is a big deal IMO (the current routine says 30 degrees above horizontal...that 30 degrees is a lot...my DD, and many other L6 gymnasts that I see at meets, are in the 1-5 degrees above horizontal club (and that's if she is lucky and has a "good bars day") ;). This new L5 is toned down on what, IMO, is the hardest part of the current L6 routine for most gymnasts...

On beam, they've changed the dismount to the current L5 dismount and threw an extra handstand into the middle of the routine. That holding of the first handstand before twisting to the side handstand in the L6 dismount is also one of the most "struggled on" things in L6 beam IMO (besides for the full turn of course, but that is what it is).

If my DD, a current L6, was able to do these new L5 beam and bars right now, I'm pretty positive she'd score at least a full point higher between the two events ;)...

Floor looks virtually identical to the current L6.

Last edited:
Those changes on bars are good to know. I know it's not uncommon to see bar scores in the 6's and 7's at the beginning of the season in level 6 in our region. , lol .., I was not looking forward to that next year for my DD!

Makes sense Gymmommy. The changes are subtle, but I can see how they would make a big difference, especially on bars.

Yeah, cause those 30 degree above horizontal requirements are in the current L6 routine 3 times (2 casts plus the free hip)! So a kid that's bad at them is getting hit in triplicate...unfortunately, I know this the hard way ;(...

My guess is that the new L6 could also be called "L7 - No Giants".

So, do you all think that more gyms will score out of the new Level 5 and potentially even new Level 6 than currently?

Coaches, do you think gyms who don't compete a full season of level 6, i.e a "score out" meet will look to have their 6s score out before all the changes are made? Assuming the gymnast is ready, would it make sense to get a level 6 meet under their belt now just to cover all the bases, so to speak?

FWIW the new level 6 is going to be optional...in that you don't have to compete it. At least this is what was said at Congress this past summer.

FWIW the new level 6 is going to be optional...in that you don't have to compete it. At least this is what was said at Congress this past summer.

Oh? I thought it meant "optional" as in "not compulsary" - like you can make up your own routines out of a specific set of skills? Or is it both? Maybe this is why I saw in another thread that it was possible to go from the current L6 to the new L7 by just obtaining a 31 in the current L6...I thought that was odd, but if you don't NEED to do new L6 that would explain why.

99% chance my DD will be doing this new L6 as she is a weak on bars but ready for the current L7 on the other events (she got her 31 mobility score no problem, but her bars are in the 7's where everything else is high 8 or low 9 :()...if it's "L7-no giants" like the above poster said, it sounds absolutely perfect for her...;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back