Parents Does your child have a 'fallback' sport?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
...and if so, what is it?
My dd's is still in the works and looks to be a toss up btwn track or ballet. Actually she has just corrected me, it's GOLF and/or ballet....she says track waits for her in middle school, haha... I personally think she would be a wicked diver, but she does not agree, lol...

Mine does soccer, field hockey, and swimming, but would give it all up in a heartbeat for gym. The other leagues are not very demanding of her time, so she is able to squeeze them in for now. I wish she'd switch to xcel so she could be a bit less focused on one sport.

Soccer. She really misses it, but would never trade it for gymnastics. She's also expressed an interest in track. However, she's still young enough that she's not really sure what there is 'out there.'

Mine likes track and she's giving an intro to diving class a go over the summer. She's up to 21 hrs in the gym so there isn't time for much else. I figure with the shape she's in she could transition to another sport fairly easily if she were to decide she was done with gym. Track can wait, it's not a sport you need to specialize early in.

My older DD has been trying to come up with a backup. She says she wants to learn tennis to play when she is old; but not ever competitively. For ages she thought cross country (she enjoys distance running); but broke her leg near the knee last year and since has had knee pain. Her ortho has said cross country isn't a great sport for her. She thought lacrosse or soccer; but between her knee and a weak ankle, the doctor has discouraged those . Her pediatrician reminds her that dive or swim would be great for her. We shall see.

Younger DD thinks dive, swim, it volley ball.

DS insists that he will always do Gymnastics and doesn't need a back up

Not really. She enjoys dancing, hip hop in particular, and she has talked about wanting to try volleyball but that's a highly competitive sport here and she is super short, lol! She has also talked about perhaps trying out for the cheerleading team when she starts high school in a few years.

My dd dances jazz and hip hop, plus loves musical theater. As well, she would be an awesome swimmer.

My ds has found medieval sword fighting, if he stopped doing gymnastics he'd spend many more hours learning it. As well, I think he could transition to wrestling if he ever stopped gymnastics.

My DDs second sport is trampolining, she loves it. If she dropped gymnastics, she'd definitely increase hours doing that instead.

Otherwise, she's good at athletics, but her main love for gym dictates how often she can do it.

depends what you mean by "fallback".

Pink loves gym.

She will do gym til she reaches her end, then she will look around. She currently does a bit of acro and I can see her transitioning into acro as an older teenager. School want her in performing arts, dance is always an option.

Sport her doesn't "lead " anywhere, except for the 0.001% of professional sportsmen, yes men, there is no money in women's sport ( except athletics), so we never look on it as anything else than keep fit and emotional enrichment.

I don't think that D would do another competitive sport. At this time, at least, he cannot imagine it. Gym is it..

That being said, he is a WEB leader (student leader) at school, does speech and debate, and has interest in student council. He also loves to hike, snowboard, and rock climb. I think, should gym no longer be an option, he would just spend more time doing those 3 things.

depends what you mean by "fallback".

Pink loves gym.

She will do gym til she reaches her end, then she will look around. She currently does a bit of acro and I can see her transitioning into acro as an older teenager. School want her in performing arts, dance is always an option.

Sport her doesn't "lead " anywhere, except for the 0.001% of professional sportsmen, yes men, there is no money in women's sport ( except athletics), so we never look on it as anything else than keep fit and emotional enrichment.
I actually feel the same in terms of the keeping fit and emotional well being part...but I also think being in a sport can lead one to being more organized, disciplined, and successful in life. This is not to say that without sports, ones life is unrewarding or unsuccessful....but athletics teaches people so many things in life. This is why I have told my child she can quit the gym any day she likes...as long as she has another idea or two what she would do....because youtube and snap chat will not be full time options...

I don't think that D would do another competitive sport. At this time, at least, he cannot imagine it. Gym is it..

That being said, he is a WEB leader (student leader) at school, does speech and debate, and has interest in student council. He also loves to hike, snowboard, and rock climb. I think, should gym no longer be an option, he would just spend more time doing those 3 things.
But those ARE sports....sports don't have to be organized so to speak, or have a uniform. :) And thise sports are still internally competitive. That's the beautiful thing about them. And man can you learn a lot about yourself rock climbing. Been there. Done that. And still doing it from time to time...:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back