Parents Does your gymmie do other activities?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
My daughter (almost 8) will be level 3 next year and will be at the gym 4 days per week (3 weekdays plus Sat). She has done other activities over the years but nothing has really stuck the way gymnastics has -it's been something different each year or even half year (other than gym of course). There are a few things that she's asking to try -a musical instrument, ice skating, tennis. We could make something like this work but I'm not sure if it's necessary. On one hand I would like her to be well-rounded and do something in addition to gymnastics. On the other hand between school, friends, family, etc and gymnastics I would like her to have a couple of days to play with her siblings and that sort of thing. I'm wondering what other gymnasts are going at around this level of commitment.

An instrument is a great complement to gym. The lessons are usually private and can be scheduled around gym, it uses a different part of the brain, it increases musicality and rhythm which helps gym and it's not as physical allowing her body to rest. I suggest guitar, long term it's a very social and portable instrument.

My nearly 8 year old will be doing 2 days gym a week from september. Also 2 days a week martial arts, 1 day ballet, piano and riding. She would also like to fit in ice skating, fencing, swimming and pottery! So if anyone has seen Hermione's time pendant thingy we would like to borrow it please....:confused:

I think it is great for them to do more than one activity (perhaps not as many as my mad child) as it means that gym doesn't have to be their whole universe, and plus the skills from other activities often complement gym, but I know from experience posting on this topic that others disagree - to each his (or her) own, but my little one wants to experience as much as possible and I am with her on that (within a bit of reason!)

My 8YO DD does 12 hours over 3 days (Aussie NL3). She does Cub Scouts on one other day (loves this so much and they do lots of varied activities which is good for getting my shy DD out of her comfort zone) She pretty much does homework on her day off and mooches around the house reading books (her other passion :)) or flipping on the trampoline. She does choir at school. We keep the weekends as free as we can so we can go camping together or see friends (and of course get some sibling fighting in!). Seems to work out ok for now.

I try to have the kids do as many varied things as they can, hoping they can find a few things they love and maybe even something they are passionate about :D If she wants to try something new give it a go. We usually make something work between my 2 kids. Couldn't manage a third with a different schedule tho!!!! Good luck with the move to L3, best wishes to her :)

We used to do Girl Scouts, piano, swimming, and ballet. But once the hours ramped up, DD was stressing (she is a perfectionist).
I gave her the choice.....when she was doing 9 hours L3, girls scouts went out the window. Also swimming because she learned 3 of the 4 strokes and team was next which she did not want to do. Then at 9 yo L4 with 12 hrs training she decided to only do piano for fun and once in a while....and she still did ballet only once a week.
After a gym switch and hours going to 16, ballet is done during practice and that's it.....honestly she is perfectly happy though.
She loves to lay around and read, she is very happy doing a variety of things during the summer and then off to gym.
The main 'problem' is that gymnastics kids are so ahead of the curve physically that they get invited to team on anything right away, and then it's work again!!!!
I agree on variety and letting them try lots of things, but I would try and be careful of more highly structures sports that become competitive fast....but there are plenty of fun activities out there! Have fun and congrats to your DD!

We're in the same boat. We have not wanted to overload on acticities so dd has mainly done gymnastics, with a few other activities with minimal time commitments in there (Girl Scouts - only every other week, piano with lessons at home and minimal practice, occasional art classes). But dd seems to be developing more interests as she gets older and wants to try more things, which is harder as the hours for gym goes up. So I'm debating about letting her sign up for other sports too.

I also don't know that dd will do gym long term so I want to give her the chance to try other sports too, but don't want to feel over scheduled (her or the family).

Actually, DD is is looking forward to Middle School where the electives are much better.....she wants to take band.....during the day, no homework, and an easy A!!!!! Only problem is she has to wait an entire school Year!!

Summer is the perfect time to try other things - camps are great. Low commitment but they get a taste of the sport or activity. Now is a great time for tennis especially.

My kids did other things when they were younger and even now that they are optionals if there is something they want to try I will try to find something that will fit in their schedule so they can try it. It just doesn't usually work out LOL.

I agree that it's easier before the hours ramp up, but if they love something, they will find time to fit it in. DD did a season of soccer when she was L5, but didn't really love it. DS did both soccer and baseball, but after a year or so, felt that he was too frustrated when he missed a gym practice. However, DD plays violin and does a LOT of art in her spare time, and DS plays trumpet. Last school year, despite going to the gym something like 18 hours week, DS managed to nab the lead role in the school musical and somehow made that work. I'm still kind of gobsmacked that he did, LOL!

Reactions: COz
When she was smaller and going less hours, DD competed in soccer, basketball and softball. I made sure to find leagues that were more recreational than competitive. As her hours increased to 5 days a week, she participated in chess club and also ran 3 miles in the local marathon for her school (spring). I agree with the idea of summer camps too. For the past few summers, DD attended basketball camp and soccer camp for fun. I like the idea of gymnastics not being the only thing in her life!

My daughters are L2 and train 3 y a week. What gets us is that we commute over an hour for gym because we live in a very rural area. The girls also participate in Girl scouts, 4-H, and soccer or softball in the spring and summer. We are are sure to get a pool pass in the summer, participate in VBS, and participate in a summer theater camp that is a week long.

We had D try all kinds of sports with gym when he was younger. He did a year of baseball, 2 of basketball, 4 of soccer, 1 of wrestling, and swimming off and on. He does not desire to do anything else. Now he does 20+ hours a week of gym, it is difficult to fit other things in.

That being said, he tools around on the guitar with his dad, goes snowboarding, snow shoeing, rock climbing, hiking, bike riding, and rollerblading regularly. He has applied to the leadership team at his school as well. He might do debate this year, but that is still up in the air.

I think he has good balance without the organized sports. Sometimes it is just good to do other things for fun.

My daughter is currently training 24 hours (L7) but at 8 yo I still think it's important for her to have a life outside the gym. We typically try to incorporate low commitment activities...last year she did a dance class one day a week. This year she's starting piano. That way if she ever decides to quit gym, she has other interests to continue to explore...

When my DD was in developmental/pre-team (3x/wk) she did dance and taekwondo in addition to gym. Once she moved to L4 the hours and cost went up and she had to choose, gym or the other activities. Last semester of L5, she picked up dance again on her one day off (her sister has to be at the studio every day anyways so I wasn't making an extra trip). This year she's training L7 but we won't know what her schedule will look like until fall. If she has the chance and her gym schedule allows it, she would like to keep doing dance as well. She's also going into middle school with advanced classes so we will see what her homework load looks like.....

My DD was never really interested in other sports. She has been playing the violin since she was five. She's 12 now and practices 16 hours a week.

DD is 9 and practices 16 hours a week. She played many sports before gymnastics but didn't love them (much to my dismay since my love is soccer) and they faded off.

When she was L3 we kept her in Girl Scouts and she was in a running program through the school that was after school the two days a week she did not have gymnastics.

She quit Girls Scouts mid year but it was solely her decision.

She loved girls on the run and I thought for sure she would do it again but she decided not to continue with that due to her L4 schedule. I admit I gently pushed a little but only a bit and then let it go.

Now she is just doing gymnastics and trying to fit in seeing friends when she can.

Actually, DD is is looking forward to Middle School where the electives are much better.....she wants to take band.....during the day, no homework, and an easy A!!!!! Only problem is she has to wait an entire school Year!!
In my experience band requires at home practice too.

As for my kids. We homeschool , which makes it a bit easier to do non-gym stuff. But outside of our schools time activities, they have both done Lego robotics and both take piano. Dd is my wants to do everything child. So this past year she took a couple dance classes. As well, she loves theater and does at least one musical per year. But this often requires missing practices, so it's quite a choice to make.

The rule in our house has always been one sport and one other thing during the school year. In addition to gym, DD sings in the school choir (no outside hours beyond performances and those are only 2-3 times a year). Next year she will be in the show choir, which worries me a little as there are 5-6 competitions plus standard school concerts and several optional performances (back to school night, that sort of thing). Last year the show choir comp season was between fall and spring gym seasons and most competitions were on weekdays, so I hope we can make this work. In the past she has also done musical theater but we lost that when hours increased last year. I agree that music is a really good compliment to the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back