Double double drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

tibizzibmai

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what kind of drills I can work on for double doubles? I have my full-in and full-out to a mat, and am ready to start on DDs. Any advice?

Thanks!

It seems as though if you have a coach that can teach you the things you say you already know how to do, they should be able to give you great drills for any skills you are ready to learn.

Once you have a 1/1 in and a 1/1 out, the best drill is to just combine them into a pit.

On a properly-timed double double, you can see the landing for the entire skill; it is very important that you learn to do this before transferring the skill out of a pit.

Good luck!

It seems as though if you have a coach that can teach you the things you say you already know how to do, they should be able to give you great drills for any skills you are ready to learn.

I don't have a coach, I teach myself new skills now. I do have free range at the gym I coach at, so over the course of a month or so I taught myself both skills.

Once you have a 1/1 in and a 1/1 out, the best drill is to just combine them into a pit.

On a properly-timed double double, you can see the landing for the entire skill; it is very important that you learn to do this before transferring the skill out of a pit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'll start practicing these into the pit today!

yikes! sequential is essential. start with full in 1/2 out. then full in full out.:)

If you have access to a belt + trampoline (or just a belt rig), it might be worth the time spent using it... although, without a coach, you will need someone you really trust spotting you.

Gotta admit.. teaching yourself a full out.. takes something a little deeper than guts, in my opinion... if you ever safely manage to throw one, post a vid. Im sure we would all love to see it.

If you have access to a belt + trampoline (or just a belt rig), it might be worth the time spent using it... although, without a coach, you will need someone you really trust spotting you.

Gotta admit.. teaching yourself a full out.. takes something a little deeper than guts, in my opinion... if you ever safely manage to throw one, post a vid. Im sure we would all love to see it.

*shrug* it's really not so bad as long as you've got a pit to train it into. I taught myself one last year.

The important part is maintaining visual contact with the floor the whole time. If you lose sight of the floor in something this complex when you're going onto a hard surface, you're in pretty big trouble. You should do a TON of repetitions into a pit to make sure you can keep your eyes on the landing.

Well, I'm an ex-competitive trampolinist. I have very good air sense and have found that as I get older, more difficult skills have come quite easily. I struggled with barani-outs and double backs when I was 15, but they're second nature to me now. I practice all new skills into a pit, and often set up a camera so I know if I'm doing it right. I also have done enough reps of both flips to know that, say, I'm going over the side rather than over the top on a full-in. So far I have only gotten a full-in, half-out.

if you twist left, don't lift your left arm when you 1/2 out. opposite if you twist right. you are probably lifting an arm causing your twist to stop.

and geoff, i saw your video awhile back. you have uncanny air sense. i can see where a 2bl/2bl might be easy for you to do.:)

On the tumble track or trampoline just work on back full to back full over and over this will help you get the mental feeling if the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back