double salto question??

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by talyngrace, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread is more than 30 days old.
  1. talyngrace

talyngrace New Member

So, i was wondering, What are some different ways to do a double salto in level 8?

would a brandi bhs bt work? :)

2. Geoffrey Taucer

Geoffrey Taucer Admin/Coach/Gymnast Staff Member CBBC Board Member Verified Coach

USA USA
    You mean a 2-salto pass? (This is different from a double-salto -- I don't believe there are any double-salto skills allowed at level 8, since they're all C or higher difficulty)

The three most common ones I've seen are:
    1) Front tuck stepout roundoff backhandspring back tuck/layout
    2) Roundoff-whip-backhandspring-back tuck/layout
    3) Front tuck-front tuck (or some variation thereof -- sometimes it's layout punch tuck, sometimes it's handspring-front tuck-front tuck, etc)

Of the three, the front stepout is probably the easiest, but also the least useful from a developmental perspective. Front-front connections are either extremely easy or extremely difficult, depending on the gymnast, and are developmentally extremely useful. And whip passes are more or less in the middle.

3. BarCoach

BarCoach Coach Coach

A barani does not count as a salto so barani back handspring back tuck would not count as a two salto pass. You'd have to do either a front tuck step out or a whip into the back handspring. Our head coach had a couple of the girls doing round-off (with or without a back handspring) into layout to back tuck. It took them a little while to figure it out, but was very nice once they got it.

4. 2gymmies

2gymmies New Member CB Booster Club Coach Proud Parent

Our girls seem to do either RO BHS BLO BT or FHS FLO FT - just depends on if you are a good back tumbler or front tumbler. My dd is working both but wants to compete the front pass because she thinks its easier!

5. dunno

dunno New Member CBBC Board Member Verified Coach Proud Parent Former Gymnast Club Owner

is brandi a good gymnast? just wondering...:)

barani>whip back or tuck back= 2 salto pass

barani>back handspring>any salto= 2 salto pass

i'm not sure where barcoach is getting his info. any 2 saltos in 1 pass= 2 salto pass.

6. CoachGoofy

CoachGoofy Guest

A barani you can actually tumble out of is usually a barani straight...isn't that a C in JO and not useable in L8?

In my experience a whip-tuck connection is far easier.

7. dunno

dunno New Member CBBC Board Member Verified Coach Proud Parent Former Gymnast Club Owner

any somi with a 1/2 turn is a "B".

8. gymdog

gymdog Coach Coach Proud Relative Former Gymnast

I wonder if maybe they were thinking the barani would be an aerial roundoff (i.e. one foot takeoff) which of course wouldn't be a salto. However, obviously if there is a two foot takeoff there is no problem and it will be a salto, although many level 8s would probably struggle with a punch barani connected to back tumbling. If the kid can do it, I always like that pass :)

9. Granny Smith

Granny Smith New Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    At L8, my dd did a few different passes (she did 2 yrs of L8, but she always did (2) 2 salto passes in her routines:

RO - Whip - BHS - Layout
    RO - Whip - Tuck
    **RO- BHS - Half - Punch tuck or Pike
    **FHS - FLO - FT or Pike

**The great thing about these passes are if you do the Pike out of them, they will be .1 bonus at L9 - so you are working toward the next level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread is more than 30 days old.