Dreams and Athletics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The literal kind of dream! I watched 'What are Dreams?' last night on netflix. (NETFLIX HOW I LOVE THEE!) It's about the study of why we dream, and the possible reasons behind it. Studies by scientists at MIT, Boston U, and other prestigious universities in the U.S. and abroad.
Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

I'm posting about here rather than off topic because of the part that relates to athletics and what dreams do for us physically. One study had the subjects play the alpine ski game before going to sleep. It simulates downhill skiing. The player watches a video of the course, while controlling their character by holding onto poles and standing on a platform that moves left and right as the player chooses to navigate. They studied people who didn't play right before sleep as well. They would monitor how deep in sleep they were, wake them up, and ask about their dreams over the course of the night. Then in the morning they'd play the game again.

They found the ones that played right before sleep were more likely to dream about either the game, snow, or skiing. The ones that did then performed better at the game in the morning. It was really interesting to watch because I think we've all heard about visualization improving a skill. Apparently that's one practical use of our dreams! It reminded me of all the times I've taken my own daughter into the house passed out after gymnastics, and she only goes for an hour! Dreaming gymmies may have an edge lol!

The other part that was not athletically related but interesting was nightmares. Studies of them have shown that children have 'primitive' ones. Scientists think this is to help them cope with dangers of the natural world in a way where they are not in danger. For adults, it's figured that nightmares grow in complexity with experience and are shaped by our worries and fears as we age. Either way, they figure it's a way for us all to 'practice' situations that scare us so that we can better deal with them when awake.

The part on animals was awesome too. If you're into science documentaries I highly recommend it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back