Ds's first ever meet - glad it is done!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymboymom

Proud Parent
Ds (6) had his first ever L4 meet today. It was a really small home meet. Our gym with over 20 boys, one gym with 1 boy (L4) total, and another gym with maybe 8-10 boys. I think his age group had 4 boys (6-7 year olds).

The meet started out okay with rings (14.4) but not as good as he does in practice, pommel (9.5, he can only do 3/4 of a circle) and an almost fall on high bar (11.6). Things got much better with pbars, his best event (14.5, 2nd place) and then floor (13.8, 2nd place) and vault (13.8).

The gym with 1 boy, he won everything. But ds came away with 2 silver medals for floor and p bars. He was thrilled! I felt bad for the 2 boys on our L4 team that didn't win anything, that was my biggest fear for ds. Nothing to compare his scores to with this being his first meet and I didn't keep track of any of the other boys scores, but overall I think it was a good first meet. Glad the first meet is over, I was more nervous than he was!

WTG to your DS. Sounds like he had a pretty good first meet. The first ones are always a little hit or miss. And Momma is normaly more nervous than the child..lol

good for him! That's a solid meet! And if it's any consolation, that durn pommel gave my son fits his first season, too. It's quite frustrating, to say the least, but tell him to just perservere. It will get there...

Good luck at the next meet!!

Congrats to your son on his medals!! I will soon go through this as I now have a 7 year old son that will start competing in January. (He just joined the team last month). That pommel is really hard! My DS also struggles with it! And like Deanna said, I think the 1s meet is much more stressful on mom than on the kids! lol!!

Congratulations! Sounds like a great first meet for him. How did he feel afterward? My son (age 8) had his first meet the same day, and he had an absolute blast -- very eager for the next one. (Based on the pictures we took, it looks like the team had as much fun messing around with each other as they did competing, but at least there was no chalk-throwing involved.)

He had a great time, but he was starving after and wanted to get out of there! Said he wants gold next time, and has asked to practice more.
Here is the video :) Turns out there were only 3 boys in his age group, but I still think he did great :)
[video=youtube;T9MlmgjDgsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MlmgjDgsk[/video]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back