WAG Elizabeth Price Retires from National Team to Attend Stanford

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sorry to see her leaving elite, because I really like her gymnastics and she just seems like such a great person. But I know she'll thrive at Stanford!

Some times a fantastic "great odds bet" is much more sane than a huge-payoff, very-unlikely-even-for-the-best-of-the-best "long long shot."

Given the toll that skills required to score well in elite gymnastics take on bodies, can't say that I blame her one bit. As fans we win!! We are likely to see much more fantastic, fun gymnastics from her in the upcoming years. NCAA gymnasts compete more than elite gymnasts, even if uncle Jim Bob down the street won't know her name from the Olympics on the TV. No offense to uncle Jim Bob intended.

Good news. Good for her. Excited to hear about this new chapter. Wouldn't count her out of anything just yet but I hope she takes some time to focus on a new experience.

Good for her. She is a stunning gymnast and she will be missed at the Elite level. But 4 years of NCAA gymnastics at an awesome school like Stanford rocks. I am very, very pleased for her.

We will be able to see a lot more of her great skills at NCAA meets than we ever would if she stayed elite. The field is too deep and the USAG folk send their girls on way too few assignments.

I think she made a good decision. I have a feeling she will thrive at Stanford. This year seemed to be her year. She gave it her all and really did a great job. But as the juniors age up to seniors I have a feeling she would have a hard time keeping up.
Very excited to see her compete for Stanford next year!

I think her aunt posted on twitter she was awarded a full academic scholarship to Stanford :). So would that might give her more flexibility if she wanted to return to elite for Rio?

I am so jealous that your athletes in the US have the opportunity to compete through college. So wish we had that here :)

http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=14082&prog=h

What do you think? This is surprising to me, considering she seems to be on the top of her game.
But in 2 years when it's time for Olympics, will she still be? Or will she be desperately trying to hold on and hurt herself? She will have to compete against the younger, hungry juniors who will be old enough to be in the Olympics, plus stay on top for 2 more years adding and improving skills in a seriously tough sport. Elite level is so hard.

I am not as well-versed, but I think she made a very good decision. I think that's a really good example for young gymnasts. (Not that staying elite wouldn't be a good example, but education is important!)

Reactions: sce
Good for EB! I would send my DD to Stanford in a heartbeat. She'll get an amazing education and still get to compete for a great team!

I'm pretty shocked. I thought she'd go for Rio. But good for her!! She'll do great.

I am surprised too, she is so talented I thought she Would be going to the Olympics but it's a long road. Glad she will compete in college so we can still watch her :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back