Parents extracurricular PE class at school

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dani4

Proud Parent
My daughter's elementary school offers a 2 day per week before school extracurricular gym class. It is taught by the regular PE teacher who everyone loves. I've met him and he does seem like a good guy- but he's not a gymnastics coach as far as I know. I do know that he is a basketball coach.

Anyway I think it's probably ok but some of the things in the description stood out to me, and I'm wondering if I should talk to the coach more to make sure he's not going to be doing anything that might be unsafe or teach bad form. My daughter is in a developmental/pre-team class in gymnastics. She only goes to gymnastics once per week but I think it is likely she'll move up to the "real" pre-team within the next year (based on conversations with coaches), and she would like to be on team someday.

My daughter is in kindergarten, and she just barely can do a cartwheel and a handstand. That's the extent of her current tumbling skills :).

Here's what it says in the description for the class: This is a gymnastic type program where student's learn to juggle, jump rope, summersault, back hand springs, unicycling, cartwheels, globe walking and hand walking. It creates a comfortable environment for children to learn new athletic skills, build strength and self esteem.

I'm kind of concerned about handsprings.. based solely on my expertise as a longtime CB lurker, that sounds like it could be either dangerous in this environment or potentially teach bad form. Everything else is probably ok. I've seen the gym, they have a bunch of tumbling mats, pull-up bars, and other non-gymnastics equipment.

What do you think? Any ideas for what I should specifically ask the coach? Should I observe a class- what should I look for? My daughter is really psyched about this class, so I don't want to keep her out of it. I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to work on her strength and balance, and most importantly it's a fun social opportunity for her.

I would definitely inquire about the back handsprings. Just say that your impression of back handsprings is that they are quite an advanced gymnastics skill relative to the other skills mentioned, and ask for details on how these are taught - what are the progressions to this skill? On what surface will they be learning (trampoline only? mats?)? Will everyone be learning these?

I would also ask the instructor if he has any concerns that students learning BHS in his class will then try those skills outside of class (because they will), likely on unsafe surfaces and/or before they have mastered the skill. What will he specifically do to help prevent this?

Personally, I don't think a basketball teacher should be teaching Kindergarteners to do back handsprings under pretty much any circumstance, but keeping an open mind to hear what his plan is before judging.

Please get details!

Thanks Sasha! I'm also not opposed to requesting that he not teach my daughter back handsprings at all... I could blame it on her gymnastics coach, and say that they would not want her to learn it outside of their gym. And I could tell my daughter that she's not allowed to because of gymnastics, which would make her feel special- not like she's being left out.

Knowing my daughter, she's not going to be gung-ho about back handsprings at this stage anyway.. she doesn't like doing things that are above her level.

But I really need to ask specifics about that skill! And it's a great question to ask what his plans are to ensure the kids don't start doing them on the playground at recess.

Thanks Sasha! I'm also not opposed to requesting that he not teach my daughter back handsprings at all... I could blame it on her gymnastics coach, and say that they would not want her to learn it outside of their gym. And I could tell my daughter that she's not allowed to because of gymnastics, which would make her feel special- not like she's being left out.

Knowing my daughter, she's not going to be gung-ho about back handsprings at this stage anyway.. she doesn't like doing things that are above her level.

But I really need to ask specifics about that skill! And it's a great question to ask what his plans are to ensure the kids don't start doing them on the playground at recess.

Right, it might be wise, even if you ultimately judge his technique to be safe, to keep the tumbling lessons in her formal gym. The rest of the class sounds really awesome! What a great physical education opportunity for your school!

Reactions: sce
Here's what it says in the description for the class: This is a gymnastic type program where student's learn to juggle, jump rope, summersault, back hand springs, unicycling, cartwheels, globe walking and hand walking. It creates a comfortable environment for children to learn new athletic skills, build strength and self esteem.
Sounds like a circus class, could be fun. I would be a bit concerned about the tumbling. Maybe ask how it's' taught when a child is ready for certain skills?

Personally I just think that's advertising blurb. People hear gymnastics and flips are the first thing that spring to mind. It's what they expect, and I bet he wouldn't get anywhere near as many sign ups if he didn't put it.

I've seen similar ads for gymnastics clubs, along the lines of "always wanted to learn a BHS? Come down to our club and give it a go!"

I may be naive, but I wouldn't in a million years expect kindergarteners, school gymnastics classes etc to go near BHS except in their dreams :). Oh actually, thinking about it I have seen it done in a rec class, but basically two coaches carrying one child through the move on an air track. Fun and so the child has something to tell his friends :)- with a strict warning not to do it without a coach.

I'd go, observe a class. Watch out for general chaos, and children appearing to be trying to kill themselves :). If you wince more than once, get out of there. Look for a class where all the children seem to be occupied, no one is running in front of anyone else, and age/level appopriate skills are being taught. If BHS are being taught, are they spotted properly? Are heads anywhere near the floor/arms bent? Are these kids who seem to be able to do basic moves well, or are they letting anyone who wants chuck themselves over? Do you wince everytime someone tries it? ;)

Tonight is parent/teacher conferences and I'm going to talk to the gym teacher if he is there. I will ask him what the progression is to learn BHS, and what kind of skills they have to demonstrate first. I'll tell him DD takes gymnastics and I know she is miles away from BHS there and I would like to avoid her learning it out of that environment. And I will see if I can observe a class.

I found this article on the program that the class is based on, and how it all started: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2002/0505/cover.html. I now feel both better and worse about it! So glad that they have this program so that all kids have access to it and can get fit and develop confidence. But I'm not really convinced that they are doing it in a safe way. Though the article is 12 years old and this is a completely different school with a completely different coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back