Parents First meet done...yay

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
DD had her first and only level 6 meet tonight, and scored out. The good news is she is now a level 7, the bad news is she didn't have her best meet tonight. She did ok on beam and vault... Bars and floor are usually her top scores and she just didn't hit it tonight. Tough age group, 8-10 year olds and she got beat by the older girls. She ended 9th AA, which I thought was ok. I was surprised at how hard level 6 scoring is!!! She was disappointed with scores but glad to be out of level 6. Her teammates rocked the first meet and I think there may even be a few moving up to 7 with her, BONUS! Glad to have the first meet behind us:)

I like the way her coaches are letting her score out with only one meet's experience. It's gets her to level 7 with enough of the basiscs to grow from, and allows skills to be chosen with consideration for each child's strengths. It may not be an ideal first year at level 7, but in a way it gives her and the coaches an extra year to "fiddle with", and that'll come in handy when she has to slow down to process future challenges. :cool:

I agree! She has a lot of room to grow and plenty of time to do it. She is the baby in her group and I see some room for maturity growth, as well as skill strengthening. Her coaches don't spend much energy on fine-tuning compulsory routines for her training group, so I'm glad to see her have the opportunity to do optionals. She has her level 7 routines ready to go, so now it's cleaning them up, while taking a week for A camp and working her 8 skills. No sweat, right????;) I always enjoy reading your posts, I think you, dunno and our coaches would see eye-to-eye.

I like the way her coaches are letting her score out with only one meet's experience. It's gets her to level 7 with enough of the basiscs to grow from, and allows skills to be chosen with consideration for each child's strengths. It may not be an ideal first year at level 7, but in a way it gives her and the coaches an extra year to "fiddle with", and that'll come in handy when she has to slow down to process future challenges.

Sorry she was disappointed with the scores, but glad she's out of level 6 which is what she wanted!

DD's HC also doesn't spend a lot of time perfecting compulsory routines with her younger, stronger gymnast groups - she knows they can get to optionals easily and she wants to get them there a.s.a.p., without compromising basics of course (it's a balance). Her less talented compulsories who are having trouble getting their next level skills work on perfecting their current level, mainly because they stay there longer. They score well eventually and get medals, but they will very likely quit before they get to optionals so this is their time in the sun (so to speak). I believe in each gymnast taking the path that works best for them, so it's nice that the coach agrees. It's great that your DD's coach is also on board with where she wants to go.

How does one score out of a level? My dd competed L5 last year and is L6 this year. I do not expect her to score out, but I could see other girls doing so. I'm just wondering how that works.

Congrats to her scoring out of level 6!! That can be such tough scoring.

How does one score out of a level? My dd competed L5 last year and is L6 this year. I do not expect her to score out, but I could see other girls doing so. I'm just wondering how that works.

This past season was the first time DD's gym did not do level 6. Her gym had the girls score out level 6 at a mock meet this summer (judges came to our gym after the gym got a sanction). I have seen other gyms have their girls do one meet at the beginning of the season to score out.

Some gyms "score out" by doing one meet at a certain level. The most common level in which this happens is Level 6. The score required by USAG to score out is very low...pretty sure it's a 31, but the girls who are scoring out are doing so because they are ready for L7 (so therefore should be scoring much higher). Many gyms, however, do not do this, ever. Ours is one of them. I don't know of other gyms around here that do it either. It just doesn't seem to be a common practice around here, but seems to be in other parts of the country.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back