WAG Flexibility in hamstrings?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So when my DD sits on the floor in a pike, the back of her knees won't touch the ground. I would estimate that the back of her knees are 3/4 inch off the ground. I am not sure if it is a flexibility issue, or just the way she is constructed.

She can sit in a pike and nearly flatten her chest on her legs with her toes pointed. If it is a flexibility issue, can you give me some stretches to help her?

DD is similar - when in splits, pike, etc, the top of her legs are straight and the backs of her knees have a slight bend - last season her coach actually had her stop doing FHSFP and a pike beam dismount because she was getting deducted for not being in full pike - she was - it just doesn't look it...back to tucks and the scores went up....apparently coach thinks its been a issue on bars too....nothing to change, just look for different skills that fit her body

My dd is similar as well, she also seems to have nobbly knees, which she hates, my dd can near enough get flat in her pike but you can see a slight gap between the back of her knees and the floor.

Dd does get fraustrated with it as when they do standing pike stretches on the beam the coach sometimes tells her to straighten her legs and she says they are straight.

My oldest dd is the same way, has a nice pike stretch but the back of her knees just don't touch the ground. she said sometimes that when she does split leaps or switch split that if she goes to over split it stretches a little and she has to bend her knee, which then she gets deducted for, her coach sent her home with hamstring stretched for her to do and it's help some bit not a whole lot. Don't think that's a part of your body that can be more flexible then it is originally.

My oldest is the same and we have seen very little improvement over the years, she has more awareness but strangely it's more noticeable on bars, maybe because there's no pressure for her to use to try to push her knees back. Whatever it is at her young age it seems to cause quite a few issues for her, the problem with compulsories is you can't hide your weak points!!

She can sit in a pike and nearly flatten her chest on her legs with her toes pointed.

If her pike stretch is flat and folded in half, her hamstring flexibility is quite fine.

Starting to stretch the knee joints is asking for hyperextending the knees one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can only be something with hamstring size and calf size. Maybe my glutes.

The back of my knees do not touch the floor in a sitting pike and it's not the end of the world.

there is no remedy for hypomobile joints short of surgery. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back