WAG Flyaways

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am really scared to do my flyaway now! Ever since I skinned the cat on the high bar while doing one. How can I prevent from doing that again? How can I get over my fear? Any drills?

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket

The first flyaway drill we do is the swing and drop drill... with the L3 Vault Stack under the high bar and sticking out past it... swing a few times (til you get the right height) then work on the release and drop to the mat (on your back layout position). Repeat 10x (good ones). Then do the drop but tuck the knees. Repeat 10x (good ones). Then spotted swings and flyaways onto an 8" mat.

We have one girl that thinks it would be easier if they just add a skin the cat dismount to the code of points :)

skin the cat is when you hold onto the bar, put your legs through between your hands and the bar... something you probably did playing on bars as a child. When doing a flyaway, if you hold onto the bar too long (or completely forget to release until you are right side up with your arms in an uncomfortable position with hands still on the bar and you drop. Like this, except you aren't supposed to touch the bar with your feet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back