WAG Forward roll on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OzZee

Proud Parent
So who competes forward roll on beam (ie countries and levels) and what does it lead to?
We don't do it at all here in Australia (that I know of) and it just sounds uncomfortable to me, lol.

It can be used a few different ways. A single and simple forward roll satisfies the requirement to work down upon the beam. A choreographer can get creative with how the skill is presented by connecting it with another skill like a handstand or whip before, and skills like scissone, split jump, ring leap, tinsica, front head spring, or rise to back walkover after the roll. Three of those connections would satisfy the "down" requirement, as well as set an ambitious L7 apart from the crowd of bwo-bwo and cartwheel-cartwheel series being done by everyone else.

We had a gymnast do a free roll, handstand forward roll combination this past year. It was different from anything else out there and looked very cool.

My DD had a forward roll in her first level 7 beam routine. She liked it because it was a different skill and they were pretty easy for her. People always commented that it looked harder than the backhand spring. But she didn't connected it to any other skill. It was just part of her mount sequence and her only foreword moving element.

My dd had one for an advanced rec comp - it was meant to be for gymnasts training 2-4hrs/week and it was in the age group for girls turning 10 in year of comp.

A long as we are on the subject, what is the deduction for grabbing the bottom of the beam in a forward roll? Is that considered a fall?

we have 2 types of forward roll - hands on beam or "free" roll. So it depends which one, we also score FIG so our deductions are more severe than JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back