WAG Forward Skill on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
It's my understanding that there can be composition deductions if you don't have forward and backward skills on beam and floor for L8 and above. I can see a FWO, front handspring and front aerial as forward. Just curious if cartwheels or a roundoffs would also count as a forward skill? Seems like they would be, but not sure.

Good question, but I'd say they are a different category than forward and backward. I'll informally call it the variety category. I think the composition requirements are written to encourage complete participation in each event with only slight bias to an individual's own strengths. So maybe a genuine forward skill that starts and spends most of it's time revolving forward is what the judges would want to see. The same would apply to backward skills.

I'm sure there's a judge or two who will add some definitive insight.

I wonder if a tinsica would count as a forward skill? Or if it even counts as a skill and would be enough for L8. I don't know much about compulsories.

the requirement is forward or sideways, and backwards. So technically cartwheel/ round off fulfill the requirement but there is also a deduction for "skills not up to competitive level" so if every other person in that level is doing a flight skill and you only do a cartwheel, there is still a possible deduction.

the requirement is forward or sideways, and backwards. So technically cartwheel/ round off fulfill the requirement but there is also a deduction for "skills not up to competitive level" so if every other person in that level is doing a flight skill and you only do a cartwheel, there is still a possible deduction.

Thank you for this information. I do recall now that it's been described as a sideways or forward requirement. In DD's case, the roundoff is in addition to a BHS-BHS series, so backwards is fine. Just wondering if a RO in connection with dismount (i.e., RO-BT) or RO in isolation would satisfy the forward-sideways requirement. A number of L8s are doing the RO in lieu of FWO. Based on above comments, I assume that the RO would satisfy the sideway/forward directional test.

Yes roundoff, cartwheels, side aerials, side somies satisfy the forward/sideward composition requirement. 8s can't do D's though so the roundoff into the dismount is the most popular choice. Some people just choose forward dismounts but that has a .05 deduction for the fwd/sdwd only in dismount.

Does anybody know the deduction for having no forward elements in the routine, not even a dismount? This would be at level 8.

It is a .10 deduction for no forward OR sideways element, and if the forward element is only in the dismount, it is a .05. My dd competed last year with only the front tuck dismount as her only forward/sideways element. With it being such a small deduction, many coaches do not think it is worth putting a skill in that is less than perfect to fulfill the composition requirement.

It is a .10 deduction for no forward OR sideways element, and if the forward element is only in the dismount, it is a .05. My dd competed last year with only the front tuck dismount as her only forward/sideways element. With it being such a small deduction, many coaches do not think it is worth putting a skill in that is less than perfect to fulfill the composition requirement.

Thank you! I thought it was pretty low. My DD will competing with dismount as her only forward element (probably better to lose the .05 from the start value than a bigger deduction for form on a forward element), but I don't think her teammate has any forward elements. Again, .10 deduction probably worth it, but I am guessing they will also incur the deduction for not being up to standard.

Woow, only a 0.05 deducion? If we lack a forwards/sidewards skill they take a half point of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back