Front Handspring Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kathy0

Gymnast
I learned my front handspring about two years ago. I have it down pretty well except I have one major problem. I can't get my feet together fast enough. I started out learning the front handspring step-out and when I transitioned to two feet together, my back leg can't catch the front leg fast enough. My feet don't come together until they are about to hit the floor. I try to kick the back leg harder but still can't get it up as fast as I should. Any tips on this? Maybe my approach or hurdle should be slightly different compared to the step-out?

Thank you!

Hi! I had a lot of trouble with this too... I actually still do ;p but I have a good front handspring and I can rebound out of it too, so I'll try to help you!
Driving your back leg faster is definitely a good start, and I would also say you need to reach out further with your hands in your front handspring. You should reach out like you're levering into a handstand... If you reach straight down, it'll be impossible for your back leg to reach your front leg. Also block really hard, and really fast off the ground with your hands, so that you have more time in the air.
Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back