DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD and her team are beginning FHS vaults. DD says last night at practice, they were all doing front handsprings over a pit turned sideways with a panel mat on top. DD made it over but landed on her heels, then fell on her behind. She said this happened 95% of the time. The one time she didn't she landed with her chest down. What is she doing? Is she not blocking or something? Her coach says she can block pretty well. Please help.

I'm not getting a clear idea of the equipment and how it's being used. Can you look up a create a link to a you tube video with the same activity and set up.

Well, it's kind of like a FHS just over a mat so they won't be afraid to go for it. It's shorter than the table, not as long and softer. They put a 4 inch mat on the other end so it won't be a hard landing. I'm sorry I don't have a link iwannacoach.

Sounds like they are vaulting over the mat used for L4 vault (here in the States), but turned sideways. Common drill in our gym. I wouldn't worry about why she isn't landing yet if she just started. It is a process! Let her coaches figures it out.

It's also quite hard to block well off a mat like that in comparison to the vault, so I wouldn't be too concerned that suddenly she's gotten worse at blocking. We use that drill all the time at my gym, sometimes piling the mats higher than the vault would be to promote good heel drive and tight body position. Also in my experience, that set up is generally used to work on the flight phase of the handspring, not so much for the landing. Best of luck to your dd with her handsprings :)

Thanks. DD came up to me and said my FHS on floor look the same way! So I guess I'm still wondering what she's doing.

The skill will probabley just take some time to learn, I'm sure if she has a good block she should be fine!

My DD has never had a superior FHS vault. Coach says yurchenko is her vault, I sure hope so because FHS wasn't:) Its hard and I think takes all those years of competing it to get it right!!!

There is a reason they compete FH vault for 3 years. It really does take a long time to get it solid with a nice strong block. It is a process with lots of drills. Does her coach have experience coaching level 5 and up? If so, he/she should be able to help her with any problems she is having with the vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back