front hip circles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd can't seem to get her front hip circle. Her anxiety is so bad over this skill that it's causing her to have issues getting to practice (she has an anxiety disorder).

I keep telling her to relax as I'm sure she'll figure it out but I'm guessing she's the only one that doesn't have it and that's adding to the anxiety. I'm not looking to try and teach her the skill or anything but I'm just curious. Is this skill more strength or timing? She's fairly strong so I'm not sure why she's not getting it. Every time I've seen her attempt one she just falls off the bar. It doesn't even look like she's trying to get around at all.

It's a skill that primarily depends on two distinct body positions and timing. Most kids are strong enough from day one, as long as they know when, where, and how to use that strength. The most common problem is when the performer will not allow themselves to lose balance and gain momentum at the entry into the skill. There's not much you can do beyond convincing your daughter that she needs to make the changes her coaches are suggesting, and that change is what makes learning possible.

to get the feeling, tell her to tuck her legs as her shoulders come around and up and over the bar. she'll make it and can undo the tuck knees later after she knows what to feel.:)

At the beginning, it helped me to curl myself around the bar with legs in a tucked position. It helps keep your hips on the bar. Also, remember to have her throw her chest over the bar. Once she makes it, she can work on better form. One day, it will just click, and she will make it. Good luck!

I am in the exact same situation with my daughter. I don’t have any smart advise on the skill itself BUT - regarding the anxiety - my daughter's couches take her (not every day of course) to a 1:1 session to work on the skill. it reduces the stress and gets her to focus on learning and not on getting stressed over being the only one that didn’t get it yet.. I can just see how this improved her approach, openness to listen and the stress level around this.

The coach doesn't have any room for private lessons in his schedule. I have asked as I know my dd probably needs some one on one with this skill. I wish she could get some one on one during the practice but I don't expect it.

My DD first learned her FHC by piking almost immediately to get around the bar (similar to the tuck suggestions above). Once she had the feel of that she started working on her form to straighten out her legs and arms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back