Front tuck fear??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read a lot on here about back tumbling fear but not as much on front tumbling fear. My dd level 5 is working on her level 6 skills and is great at back tumbling but is scared to even try her front tuck. She has had her front handspring and recently "got" her back tuck. I am just wondering if the front tumbling fear is as common as back tumbling fear!

yes. this too is vestibular and will improve with age.:)

Definitely! When I was a gymnast I had no issues with back tumbling on the beam but I was not willing to EVER put any blind landings up there. This frustrated my coaches- but we worked around it. I don't recall the issue on the other 3 events- but for me it was absolutely a fear issue.

yes. this too is vestibular and will improve with age.:)
You keep using that word, and Wikipedia is sparse on how it develops or changes over time. Is it just a matter of more and more tumbling? DD's seems to be great - the coaches love her ability to flip and control it. Mine is horrendous - I have no idea where I am in the air and no clue how anyone does. I always assumed you just learned by trial and error how high and hard to throw yourself to do the right number of rotations.

There is a post called "What is this vestibular talk" where Dunno does a great job of explaining what he means by vestibular. It is a nice chunk to read but worth it! Just search under vestibular and it will pull it right up.....:)

I'm just the opposite- I got my front handspring front tuck LONG before I got my back tuck! It was mostly a vestibular thing for me, which I got over. Make sure she thinks positive about it, it actually really does help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back