Fun gym vs. Good gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
This was a post on gymnasticscoaching.com about a "conditioning wheel" where the althletes spin a wheel to see what conditioning drill they do next.

The comment from one was "Just another example of why region 2 is at the bottom. You can have a fun gym, or a good gym. The combination of having both, only a few coaches can succeed."

I get that to be elite you have to work very hard, but does that mean there is never room for any fun? Or at what point do you say to a child, well you are (7, 8, 9, 10) year old now so the FUN STOPS NOW?

Here is the link: conditioning wheel — Gymnastics Coaching.com

Good question, I don't know the answer though.

For my kids I don't think they would have continued if gym wasn't fun. Not fun all the time, but interspersed with bouts of madness and hilarity etc. They went to a much more serious gym for summer training for a few years and they were always glad to go back to their own gym. BUt our gym was by no means a gym with elites or girls going that way.

Last edited:
I definitely think you can have both. I think my daughter is at a great gym. Her coaches are positive and they have a lot of fun, especially when it comes to conditioning and strength. Even the optionals do and they have girls that have gone on to college gym, full ride scholarships, etc, girls that make it to Nationals, etc. I would say that her gym does a great job of being fun and good, the right balance. :)

I remember seeing a video over the summer of the Texas Dreams girls (or maybe it was WOGA?) doing conditioning at a pool (this was the elites I think) and they looked like they were having fun.

That is a great idea, too, the spinning wheel for conditioning.

Well I don't know if you can have both or not but for my family if my dd isn't having fun then it isn't good. Doesn't mean they are doing games or the wheel like you said with gimics to get the fun.

I think that balance is always nice- in a perfect world you would be having fun and have a great program and coaching. For my DD, where she is right now (6 yrs and level 3) fun is more important. If she's not having fun, we're not sticking around. If she's still in gymnastics when she's 12 (for example) and wants to seriously pursue it then I'll be more concerned that she's getting "great" coaching. Don't get me wrong- I love her coaches. It's just a new and very small program and definitely not elite quality. My DD isn't elite quality either right now so it's a great fit for us, lol. :) I'm just happy she figured out her backwards roll with straight arms, lol :). Every time she did it wrong she got "hit" with a noodle (swim toy). She loved it and had a blast that day. I think she kept doing it wrong just so she'd get the noodle, lol :). It was all in good fun and just really showcased the laid back, fun atmosphere at the gym.

Lots of wiggle room in the definitions of "fun" and "good". Sounds like a snipe by the writer at something he was familiar with. for my dd if it's not fun, she won't go, so what "good" is that?

What is the definition of good? My DD is an 8 year old level 7. I would say she's at a good gym now as they win, but we just moved and joined recently. If shes not having fun, then what's the point? As a former athlete I played to win, but it was fun. Again, if its not fun, what's the point?

My daughters are at a very good gym - personally I think it is the best in the area - at least driving distance from me. people come from a 1 hour radius all around to go here. But it is a lot of fun. Now they work very hard, but the coaches try their very best to also make it fun - not every single day, but enough that it is fun all around. My dd is frequently coming home with stickers, treats, etc for small competitions and games that they have or as rewards for doing well or learning something new. Positive reinforcement from the coaches is something that we never got at our old gym, and I think that makes it fun for the girls too. They are working, but yet still having fun. Again not every single practice, but enough that they love it there. I think you can definitely have both.

I think that "fun" has many definintions, what is fun for one gymnast is often not for another. You have to look at many factors including: age, level, commitment level, etc. For me I like to just have a paper with a list of stuff and go do the conditioning on my own, but I am older than most kids in my competitive program. I am sure others would like doing something similar though.
For example on days right before a break or something we do "fun" conditioning:
The coaches ask us a gymnastics related trivia if we get it wrong we do an exercise they give us. If we get it right we give all the coaches a conditioning activity to do.
Even on these days I would rather just do the conditioning myself.
And I think that you can have both because I did see that mariposa was talking about Texas Dreams conditioning at the pool and in the park. And in lots of gymnast structure and focus is what makes is "fun", just because games are not played does not mean it isn't fun for the gymnast. You have to find a gym that fits what the gymnasts goals are because that is what makes it fun and worth it in the end.

I totally agree with the having balance thing. As far as stages if you think about it little kids are more likely looking for fun but also really want to please coaches and parents. it is a delicate stage as they are also emotional and cannot be overly pushed and need some fun to break it up but they are also usually more willing to work hard and respond to rewards and not getting rewards.

On the other hand MOST teenagers I see don't care as much about pleasing their parents at this stage they are doing gymnastics because they want to and if they didn't they would quit a lot more easily than a child would. They also need to be kept interested in the sport because now other life things can easily take up time (parties, high school, friends, boys) For the most part these kids no longer respond to rewards or lack of rewards such as stickers, games, food and are more likely to respond to inner goal centered rewards (getting a new skill, moving up, maybe college)

So that is when I personally think changes should be made. Keep in mind this is for an average to slightly above average gymnast not a 9 year old rock star going for Jr. Elite status. If that is in the agenda I think you need to plan more carefully and the child obviously needs a good coach but should also still have balance in order to not burn out.

Plus gymnastics is a dice roll she might be an elite or she might get injured, have a huge growth spurt and not be able to overcome it, might get fears she can't overcome. No one knows but when she looks back on gymnastics as a hopefully well adjusted adult you want those memories to be happy ones. I honestly don't think having a conditioning wheel is going to make or break these kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back