Parents Going to practice sick

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So how sick is sick???
I know parents who send their kids to practice with fever.
I know parents who wont send their kids to practice with the smallest ailment.

I also know quite a few drama queens, who say they are bed ridden with a cold.
And yes, we ALL hate it when there is a kid at practice who is coughing and sinffling all over everything and everybody.

Where do you draw the line?

a fever, no. less than 24 hours on anitbiotic, no. discretion with everything else.:)

If she is too sick to go to school then she is too sick for practice. That's my line, since once in a very great while she doesn't feel good enough for school then magically is good enough for practice :) Now as far as when I make them stay home, they either have to have a fever, be vomitting, or I can tell that they flat just need to rest after having been up all night with stuffy noses, bad cough, etc.

Those times are few and far between for us though. My kids have missed 3 days this year for being sick between the 4 of them.

I always told my hubby the way I define sick is; any fever, any fluid flowing from an orifice, lethargy and pale sunken, glazed eyes or any known contagious disease.

For regular practice: no fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea, must have been on antibiotics for at least 24 hours. I'll admit that I medicated my child for a meet. (Don't bother cursing me. I don't even feel guilty about it. :cool:)

We live in one of those regions that has a high incident of allergy suffering so it is not uncommon to see red, watery eyes, sneezing, and running noses that have nothing to do with any pathogen. We couldn't fly with Bog's "fluid" criterion (makes me want to shower just thinking of that! LOL) because eww doggy...the spring is brutal here!

I say anything that will infect others and/or impact their ability to do gymnastics safely.

To those that mention coughing, sneezy, runny noses and how parents hate to see others come to gym that way. I would normally agree, but I happen to have a DD that stays in that state almost constantly from Oct-March. She may have a good week here or there, but she has really bad allergies and it would mean she was almost never at gym or school if she stayed home for that. The worst is the cough she has that time of year. It sounds awful and I'm sure people think she has some infectious lung disease, but its just her asthma. Nobody is going to catch it from her. Just keep that in mind next time you see someone coughing and sniffling all over everyone.

Good point Wallflower. When my DD gets a cough, which thankfully is rare, she sounds very croupy. Her pediatrician said it was because of the structure of her larynx/pharynx/vocal cords and her size and that as she grew bigger, her cough would sound normal. But right now, she sounds like typhoid mary with even the silliest of coughs. I know the other parents are judging me and shielding their children from mine! LOL

I'm with wallflower...my DD is the same way. she has a lingering cough for weeks during the winter, but it's asthma-induced. and this time of year, it's allergies. DD's school nurse called me twice a couple of weeks ago because she didn't "look good." If I didn't send her to school when her allergies are affecting her, she'd never be there ;)

My oldest DD had asthma that made people think she had the plague. She would cough all the time, but was fine. If I kept her home from school, or gym, every time she had a cough she would never have been there. Oddly enough since she stopped gym she has had a cough. IN THREE YEARS!!!!

a fever, no. less than 24 hours on anitbiotic, no. discretion with everything else.:)
Basically this. Fever is about the only thing she'll stay home for (usually her choice - we tend to tell her that rest will get her through it quicker).

If the kid were your co-worker how sick would you want them to be around you? Then take that measure and apply to your kid at gym. I say its only gymnastics and I would rather not have my kid sick or get sick from someone else's kid at gym. Fever stay home. Coughing and hacking stay home. Drippy runny gross nose stay home. anything that can cause me to catch your yucky illness stay home. I'm talking an illness not allergies here. Allergies can be managed with meds but contagious stuff nope stay home. I see more parents say so and so has a sore throat today - gee I wonder if its strep! I think gee don't you think you should check that out before you contaminate the whole place.

If the kid were your co-worker how sick would you want them to be around you? Then take that measure and apply to your kid at gym. I say its only gymnastics and I would rather not have my kid sick or get sick from someone else's kid at gym. Fever stay home. Coughing and hacking stay home. Drippy runny gross nose stay home. anything that can cause me to catch your yucky illness stay home. I'm talking an illness not allergies here. Allergies can be managed with meds but contagious stuff nope stay home. I see more parents say so and so has a sore throat today - gee I wonder if its strep! I think gee don't you think you should check that out before you contaminate the whole place.

this is true, but it's hard when you have a kid with asthma or allergies and other parents may assume you're sending your kid to practice "sick". I would never send with a fever or anything I know to be contagious.

My pet peeve is vomiting! If your child has vomited in the past 48 hours they should not be there! In fact it should really be longer as the germs can stay on the person that had the virus for 3 full days after they are well. But we all know 3 days is a long time to keep them home from everything. But the stomach flu can run through a group quickly and knock everyone out for awhile. Keep them home an extra day just to be nice and try not to spread it.

My pet peeve is vomiting! If your child has vomited in the past 48 hours they should not be there! In fact it should really be longer as the germs can stay on the person that had the virus for 3 full days after they are well. But we all know 3 days is a long time to keep them home from everything. But the stomach flu can run through a group quickly and knock everyone out for awhile. Keep them home an extra day just to be nice and try not to spread it.

Yes! In totally agreement with you here. I can't tell you how many times I have heard parents say their child puked at school, but then they brought them to gym. Or they were throwing up all night, but they seem fine today! Not only do I not want your puke germs, I know a child has to feel weak after throwing up all night.

A bad sinus infection can interfere with balance enough that practice really isn't a good idea even if the fever is under control. One of DD's optional teammates got injured that way.

this is true, but it's hard when you have a kid with asthma or allergies and other parents may assume you're sending your kid to practice "sick". I would never send with a fever or anything I know to be contagious.
Just let it be known that there is Asthma or allergies. My son has asthma and allergies he is now 21 but had been on a nebulizer since he was 6mos old. Now just the inhaler but on days of high pollen he is a mess too. But everyone that knows him also knows he has asthma and allergies. When he competed all the parents of the team knew it too. What I don't like is when parents say "oh its allergies" knowing its really a cold, flu or worse and bring the kids to gym, school or what ever.

Fever and throwing up means no activities for at least 24 hours after finally stopping. We also skip if there is a lot of head congestion. Flipping and spinning just doesn't seem like a good idea when your head feels like a balloon ready to pop!

Head congestion, come in and do what strength and flexibility they can. This ends up being not a lot of inverted stuff like handstands. Overall body ache, DO NOT come in. Stay in bed.

Definitely don't want them in the gym if they may have to throw up or frequently visit the bathroom.

I'm in agreement with many here. No practice if there's been vomiting, fever, or pinkeye. Feeling yucky from a cold warrants staying home, too. A headache that isn't resolved with a regular dose of motrin, too. I can't imagine exerting myself when I'm feeling really run down, so I understand my gymnast wanting to stay home. I don't want anyone else's kid to feel that way later, as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back