Good gym in Boston?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all!
There is a good chance we may move to Boston in the next 6 months. My dd is 8 and is (or should be...) moving up to level 6 over the summer. Gymnastics is VERY important to her, so find the right gym is important to me. Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about Boston area gyms? I'm not sure we whether we want the most competitive gym or not, but I'd like to know which ones those are. And which ones do parents like the best, ie how is communication with parents? Which are coached the european way vs. the american way? Which ones participate in the TOPS program?

Also, where we live now, high school gymnastics is BIG. Is it big in the Boston area?

Thanks so much!
GymMommy

i know a few good gyms that i myself were looking into. I live outside of boston, so i wouldnt know of any highschool gymnastics. Its not big where i live, idk about boston.. I think these are either in boston or close!

http://www.elitega.com/
http://www.gymnasticsexpress.com/programs.html
www.headoverheelsma.com
http://www.gymnasticacademyofboston.com/
http://www.sterlinggym.com/
All American Gymnastics, Western Mass. Gymnastics -
overthetopgym.org
and the gym home to Alicia Sacaramone. :)
Home

these are just the gyms I REALLY liked.. :)

you can also check out some here..
Gyms of Massachusetts

Last edited:
Thanks for that list!

I don't know if we will actually live *in* Boston...actually, advice on which suburbs are best would be appreciated, too!!

Hi all!
There is a good chance we may move to Boston in the next 6 months. My dd is 8 and is (or should be...) moving up to level 6 over the summer. Gymnastics is VERY important to her, so find the right gym is important to me. Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about Boston area gyms? I'm not sure we whether we want the most competitive gym or not, but I'd like to know which ones those are. And which ones do parents like the best, ie how is communication with parents? Which are coached the european way vs. the american way? Which ones participate in the TOPS program?

Also, where we live now, high school gymnastics is BIG. Is it big in the Boston area?

Thanks so much!
GymMommy

High School gymnastics is not very big in MA. There are a few schools around that have it, but its not the "thing to do" as it seems to be in other places.

i know a few good gyms that i myself were looking into. I live outside of boston, so i wouldnt know of any highschool gymnastics. Its not big where i live, idk about boston.. I think these are either in boston or close!

http://www.elitega.com/
Gymnastics Express: Programs
www.headoverheelsma.com
Home
http://www.sterlinggym.com/
All American Gymnastics, Western Mass. Gymnastics -
overthetopgym.org
and the gym home to Alicia Sacramone. :)
Home

these are just the gyms I REALLY liked.. :)

you can also check out some here..
Gyms of Massachusetts

And just a heads up on the list, Sterling Gymnastics is about an hour or so with no traffic from Boston. OTTG is approx 45 min and All American is on the other side of the state, about 2 hours away. All very good gyms, but not really near Boston. I'd google directions to any gym you're looking at, and if you are traveling for a few miles on I-93, 95, rt. 9 or 3, at anytime except very late at night or the middle of the weekday, expect to add a significant amount of time to your commute.

If you are looking at the MA gym list, it may (but sometimes not, sorry.) be helpful to look at area codes. 617 is always Boston and directly surrounding suburbs. 413 is the western part of the state; if the phone number starts with it, and you're going to be close to Boston, you probably should cross them off the list. 781 and 339 area relatively close, as are SOME 508 and 978 numbers, I'd check google maps for those.

Like any gym switch, be sure to spend some time watching team practices and talking to coaches and parents.

Good luck in your search!

oooh i would go to brestyans if it's close! :)

Yup that would be my choice too. its only about 30- 40 min outside of Boston. (not during rush hour of course LOL) Gymnastic Academy of Boston is good to. It really is going to depend where you end up settling down and how far you are willing to drive as to what is a good recomendation.

Oh and you'll love Boston. I was born and raised there (Ken you heea my thick Bosten accent). I still love everything about it even though I don't live there but live just over the boarder in NH now.

Perfect timing for this thread. My husband told me yesterday that we could move to Boston for his job soon. Where is a good place to live and who is Colarossi?
I looked Colarossi up and he is president of USA Gymnastics. Does he have a gym in Boston?

Last edited:
All of GAB's are very recreational. I think they only have very low level prep opt teams.

The location of where you are living is essential. Anyone that wants honest info re:gyms around the boston area can just pm me.

All of GAB's are very recreational. I think they only have very low level prep opt teams.

The location of where you are living is essential. Anyone that wants honest info re:gyms around the boston area can just pm me.

As of now, I believe they have up to level 8 for girls and level 7 for boys. Maybe they are trying to get away from the recreational side. I know they had several gymnasts place at states.

FWIW, back in the early '80s, GAB used to be one of the most competitive gyms in the area. I think they may have even had a National team member. I think there may have been a change in emphasis when the owners' kids starting taking over the gyms. They did become almost strictly recreational. Maybe they're in the process of switching back to more serious competitive gym.

brestyans is a well known gym due to the fact that alicia sacarmone trained there, and a rising star, aly raisman ( jr elite athlete) is also training there. Although bars needs to work, its a quite comfortable and nice gym to be training at.

unfortunately, romanians can't do bars...lol.:D

p.s. mihai and i are good friends. and i tell him this all the time.

p.s.s. and he keeps a very clean gym.

Their girls have gotten better on bars as of late (at Brestyan's) ...the thing with that gym is that they are VERY INTENSE at all levels, not just the 9s and 10s ..lower levels (not all levels ..I think the 4s go less than 6) go 6 days a week and from a longevity standpoint, I think that you can do less than 6 days a week and still be a good upper level optional in the future. So I think you have to look at the level you are in and how it's going to play out in the future..you don't want your kid to be burning out at 10-11 years old because she's been in the gym 6 days a week...NESA is a good gym for compulsory level kids as is Elite , and I don't believe their gymnasts go 6 days a week.

Plus, you could always move her to Brestyan's when the gymnast got to be a level 8 or 9 ...and then get into the 6 day a week thing...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back