WAG Good news about fear...and a little brag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
So the fear bubble popped, FINALLY! She is back to doing the back handspring step out on high beam and acting like she was born to do them. Nevermind the months of fear that preceded this moment! Giants are in full swing with the flyaway dismount again and she is even moving forward on skills again. She said she is back to the yurchenko drills and still scared but at least doing them to high mats (wouldn't even go backwards after the straight jump before). Landed her two foot BHS on middle beam, working her stalder to handstand on bars, and doing some full something or other (I have no clue what she is talking about). It's nice to see her excitement and forward progress again after what felt like a full out standstill for way too many months! Fear is awful for everyone involved. For those of you with gymmies in fear, it does pass...in their own time:)
Duuno, I think it was you that said it was "vestibular"-I believe you were correct:) Again...

That's great news!!
Mine has had a first fear the last couple of weeks - luckily with a skill a couple of levels ahead - but I know she'll get there and her fear is just that she's not quite ready yet.

BTW, the way it happened..
SHe was starting to implode emotionally from self-inflicted expectations. Came back from TOPS feeling like she wanted to be better than she was right now. I marched her little self into the coaches office and me and HC assured her she is doing just fine for her age. We pulled her from the December meet so she could just focus on doing the gymnastics and not the competition. THE VERY NEXT DAY the bubble popped. DD's HC is amazing. She is supportive, patient, and remarkable at reading each kids personality and tailoring it to the kid. She also listens to the parents. I LOVE our HC and my DD is amped up for all that lies ahead.
Lesson for us all: it's ok to miss a practice, it's ok to miss a meet, it's ESSENTIAL to listen to our children and take a moment when we see them stressing out. All it took was telling her we were going to slow down a bit for DD to say "oh no we aren't!!!":)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back