Grips, Grips, Grips!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been in gymnastics for a bunch of years but still 9 years old. People and some coaches say she should get grips for level 7 next season for doing giants and the like though she has never had a problem with rips up to this point. Just looking for opinions on why to get grips and if anyone has used/likes the Antilof & Daughters grips or another style for more feel??? Thanks for the help!

Many people belive grips will prevent rips, but this is not the case. Grips are generally used once gymnasts start swinging big and learning more difficult skills, such as giants. Many people believe kids shouldn't get grips until they learn giants, while others believe they should get them before giants. I grew up using Ten-O grips, and I also like the Reisport. I've never heard of Antilof grips, but maybe someone else has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reisport and Bulldog and Ten-0 tend to be wayyyy to wide on the gymnasts hand, I've never heard of the brand you're talking about but I would caution against them. The best grip being manufactured today is made by bailies. Its a perfect fit for most adolescent gymnasts. Using a reisport or another wide grip may feel a little better for a gymnast because it covers a larger portion of their hand, but that takes away from their ability to grip the bar properly. And makes learning skills like inverts very hard.

http://www.gymsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3211

this is the only grip I would ever recommend to a gymnast.

As you can see, there personal preference is a big thing when it comes to grips. I have small hands, but I've always used Ten-0s and I never had a problem with them being too wide--I highly recommend them. I was able to perform level 10/elite skills on bars with no probelm at all. I really think it all depends on the gymnast and their preference.

Most brands make a narrower cut grip for little hands. There's a Bailies beginner dowel that my dd has used, ten-0 now makes one called pixie grips, and US glove makes one called hotshot. My dd is now using the hotshot grips and she likes them. They come with padding in the wrist.

ETA

The Bailies beginner dowel is a little hard to find, but they carry them here: http://www.nragymsupply.com/grips%20and%20tape%202004.htm
They're even smaller than the narrow version of the regular Bailies grip.

Last edited:
My gymmie uses regular 10-0 grips and she's 11. 1st pair were their basic dowel grip and I have to say after 14 mos they still have some life left in them. Got her another pair for meet season and this pair is softer(look a little gray on the website) and have the wrist padding that can be used or not. She loves these. Was able to break them in really fast(2 practices).

I did gymnastics for a long time and I have tried three different brands of grips. I found that Ten-0 were a lot harder to break in and then they wore out really fast as well. My girls that I coach seem to prefer reisport which I liked but, my personal favorite were bailie and I have recommended them to acouple of my gymnasts and they have liked them better as well. Good luck and happy grip shopping.

our gym always uses Bailie double buckle grips. I think double buckle grips are much more comfortable than single buckle. single buckle grips usually start hurting your wrist because of the way they are made. and velcro grips aren't the safest. the velcro usually starts wearing out and usually comes un done when your on the bar, and your constantly adjusting them.

but i don't know. haha. that's just my opinion.:eek:

I wouldnt reccomend the antilof & daughter (im not sure if thats the right spelling) grips. I had them for awhile but they break easily and I went through two pairs in the same month! I also do not like the new style, I do not feel like I can hang on very well but that might just be my opinion. I just switched over to a double buckle grip and I like them a lot. Also the transition between the two grips was hard because they are unlike any other grip.

i think my grips are called US Glove..? can't remember exactly but i'm pretty sure that's it.. they're single buckle grips, and i think they're great because they don't take up too much time to get them on and you don't have to worry about them coming undone... are the Antilof & Daughter grips velcro or buckle?? we get grips when we start level 5, so like right after we learn our kips.. they're really hard to get used to and to break in, but once you do, there the best thing that's ever happened to you :) and actually grips do help prevent rips, because they reduce friction. they also help you get a better grasp on the bar during bigger skills.

My daughter has been in gymnastics for a bunch of years but still 9 years old. People and some coaches say she should get grips for level 7 next season for doing giants and the like though she has never had a problem with rips up to this point. Just looking for opinions on why to get grips and if anyone has used/likes the Antilof & Daughters grips or another style for more feel??? Thanks for the help!

L7 yes definitly grips. Grips are not just for rip control. The bigger skills really need them.

L7 yes definitly grips. Grips are not just for rip control. The bigger skills really need them.

Most girls use them, but they are not ALWAYS necessary. There's an elite at my gym who has never used grips, and she gets off fine. I'm not saying it's the best idea, but it is possible. :eek:

Most girls use them, but they are not ALWAYS necessary. There's an elite at my gym who has never used grips, and she gets off fine. I'm not saying it's the best idea, but it is possible. :eek:

That's surprising. I've never seen anyone L7 and up compete without grips.

That's surprising. I've never seen anyone L7 and up compete without grips.

When you go to an international competitions you see lots of gymnasts not using grips. Romanians, Ukranians, etc and I've seen some Canadians not use them. Money when they are young is usually the issue so I was surprised to see a Canadian working bars without them.

I got Reisport Grips at the start of Level 4, but only because I would rip EVERY LESSON, and it hurt!
They were fairly easy to break in, but took me ages to re-adjust to gripping the bar, it was quite hard for me. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with everyone!

However on the plus side, I haven't ripped since!

our gym always uses Bailie double buckle grips. I think double buckle grips are much more comfortable than single buckle. single buckle grips usually start hurting your wrist because of the way they are made. and velcro grips aren't the safest. the velcro usually starts wearing out and usually comes un done when your on the bar, and your constantly adjusting them.

but i don't know. haha. that's just my opinion.:eek:
i definitely agree! i have velvro reisport grips right now and i hate them!! i just ordered bailie double buckle grips and im excited to try them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back