grips too big or too small??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter's coach is introducing the girls to using grips as they practice harder skills. I bought her a pair last year. She measured right under 6 inches. Never did break them in. So we pull them out for this year, since she has to wear them. She measures right at 6 inches. The problem is the grips slip down her fingers past wear they should be making it hard for her to get a good grip on the bars( they were a brand sized one). I bought her a new pair that measure that were sized 6.0 to 6.5 or a size one in a different brand that her orignal pair. If they slip down, are they too big or too small? Help. I am totally lost. She is small for her age. Her hands are long but narrow. Did her fingers grow and get slimmer making the holes too big?

Thank you for your help!

I would have the coach look at them. If they slip too far down her finger, the finger holes are probably too big. She could try putting tape on her fingers or try a different brand. Grips seem to be a really individual thing and I think it's hard to size them by measuring the hand.

Thank you! Her coach looked at them and said they don't fit. She also said to order and new pair and try them. I never realized finding the right grips would be so hard. LOL

My DD also has narrow hands, and uses Just Right grips by Gibson. They are narrower than most grips and good for smal hands. I got her a pair of Nastia grips the beginning of the summer, but had to switch her back and she could not get a good feel on the bar and the grips covered her whole hand.

Good luck. Hope you find a pair that fits!

Are there different brands of grips in the pro-shop at your gym? If so, having her try on a bunch to get a sense, even if you have to order them in a smaller size, could be helpful. Or if she has team mates with different syles she could try some of theirs too.

My dd uses the narrow cut ones for smaller hands too. Almost every brand makes their own version. US glove's are the "hot shot," and in the Nastia line it's the "big swinger".

The girls go to a tiny gym. There is one other girl in grips and hers are too big for Em. They gym doesn't have a pro shop. SO my best bet is order and try them out. If these new ones don't work I am going to try one more pair. LOL This could get expensive.

My daughter has small hands and she has always used Hot Shot Grips by US Glove...the strip on the palm is narrower (as she likes to be able to "feel" the bar around her grip) and works well with a small hand.

What level is your daughter and how old is she? From my experience in ordering grips, Gibson ("these are like Boxing gloves") ,Reisports (same response) , English Bulldogs (just didn't like them...whatever that meant) ...as they get into higher levels, some coaches like them to have buckle (versus velcro) grips...my daughter switched to buckle at Level 8 and loves them and would never do velcro again.

Emma is 10. She is going to compete 4, but this summer her coach is working on harder bar skills with all the girls. Her coach said she wanted the three older girls in grips.

I'm surprised they want grips for Level 4, even if they are doing harder stuff..I think she'd be good with the Hot Shots as she's only 10 and at Level 4 , velcro would probably be easier for her.

They aren't working on level 4 skills. Honestly, no levels for next year have been announced as they are in their learning phase. They are learning back tucks on the floor, and cartwheels on the beam. Like I said hodgepodge of skills. So, she wanted the girls to start getting used to grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back