Gymnastics book series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It has been a while since I've posted on the site, but I've been having this thought, and wanted to get some feedback.

As a young gymnast, I always wished there was a book series about gymnastics, like the Boxcar children, The riding club, or the babysitter's club, etc.

I've been thinking about writing one. I am not a writer, but I do enjoy it, and journal daily, plus I have had 20+ years in gymnastics as an athlete and coach. I'm looking for any thoughts, and wondering if something like this already exists (I couldn't find it).

My understanding is that there are a couple of series but not since the 80s.

DO IT!!!!!!

Seriously....tons of encouragement from me.

Great idea. THere was a series that I bought on Ebay second hand. I never managed to get the whole lot, I think there were about 30 in all. THey were about a group of girls in one gym and their adventures!!! You know tough meet, boy in the gym etc etc.

My girls have just outgrown them and I mailed them to Marisposa's DD so she can enjoy them.

You can googl e the series as it was just called the gymnasts.

Parents would just LOVE a gym series. I have to believe with the O run off that would be a huge market in most English countries of the world.

Give it a go, when you are a famous authour we can say we knew you when, at least virutally that is!!!

I would definitely look into doing it. The series that Bog is talking about is great, but very outdated, LOL. It would be really cool to have a series that incorporated compulsories, optionals, etc, into it and all the other drama that goes into a good series. Loved the Babysitters club, etc. I always enjoyed series because when you read a book usually, it is just over, I loved being able to continue reading about my favorite characters.

Agree! I think there has to be a market out there for them. I know I looked for some when my girls were younger!

hahah, I LOVED "Junior Gymnasts" when I was younger. About these 4 gymnasts and they had COach Jody. It was great but discontinued.

There was also one othr series but I forget the name.. the gymnasts were a little bit older in this series. Maybe American Gold Gymnasts??

You should definetely do it!! What a hit. It was the only way I would read anything as a kid so my parents loved it too

There was a few/is a few series, but lots are very 80's and outdated! Do it! I would love to read some in date gymnastics books.

I know we have asked at the bookstore for easy chapter books about gymnastics and we only came up with a few individual books. I think my dd would read more if you wrote a gymnastics series!

We have 'The Gymnasts' series, which my DD loves, but it was written in the 80s. There is also a 'Junior Gymnasts' series. I think your idea of writing a new series is a fantastic idea! I'm sure there would be a huge market.

There was a great series around when I was a kid, I still have all the books. It was called "The gymnasts" by Elizabeth Levy. I have about 25 of them.

We also have The Gymnasts series by Elizabeth Levy. My daughter has enjoyed reading them but something more current and fresh would be great!

My daughter is currently reading The Babysitter's Club books we book a box of them for $20 on FB. She is really enjoying the series!

I loved the Baby sitters club as a kid. I have over 120 of them in a box somewhere.

Wow! Thank you all for the replies. I guess that is a yes. I have 6 chapters and 18 pages written so far. My plan is to pass it out to the girls at my gym when I get the first book done to have them review it and make suggestions. Then I know the hard part is getting it published. But my mom knows a literary agent so hopefully he can help me out. I'm open to suggestions about what you'd like to see in the books, even funny or inspirational or sad stories that could go into it.

The basic gist so far:
A book for every level 4-9 that follow a team through the levels. I have focused it on 3 very different gymnasts, one who is very young and talented, but doesn't have many friends because the other girls are jealous of her skills, one who is a lot older than her teammates, and wants to be in the higher levels, but loves gymnastics, and a typical level 4. There are 5 other girls on the team. The chapters I've written focus on workouts, interactions between teammates and with coaches, meet successes and mistakes. At some point in the series I want to include:
Someone is scared of back tumbling
Someone has to leave the gym because of anorexia
Someone goes to another gym
Get a new team member
Get a new coach

Just my ideas so far.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I love to read and read everything as a kid. My sister and I read the Trixie Belden mysteries and a few others.

You may want to include:

gymnast struggling gym between school and/or school friends

switching to another sport (maybe diving or pole vaulting).

injuries

getting a visit from an Olympian

gym summer camp

younger sibling improving faster than older one

things going missing in the gym

bullying in the gym

struggling to get kip, giants, other milestone skills.

Just a few more ideas to keep the series rolling, my niece would love them!

We also had a few books form the Gymnast series and could never find much more then that and a random book here and there - all very old, out of print and very hard to find.

All great ideas - but I might shy away from the anorexia one - unless you target older kids.

more ideas - sorry if some are repeated.

a gymnast's family struggling with payments (think make it or break it Emily)

Teammates moving up - main character is not

Coming back after a being away because of vacation / injury / another sport and feeling behind. This is a big thing with my daughters team. they feel panic that they're missing out on a new trick or something

new girl coming in

gymnast trying cheer / acro / diving and having to choose or other gymnasts not supportive

pit fears (my daughter struggled with tumbling into the pit)

mean / competitive / unsupportive parents

gym sleep over

I guess I procrastinated enough - back to work . .

I will say I have many times thought I should write a book about the parents - some of them are really funny

I agree with Jessmom that you might want to stay away from the anorexia part unless you make the seires for older readers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back