Gyms with similar names

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

VA Gym Coach

Hello all,

I wanted some opinions on a predicament my business partner and I found ourselves in. We are starting a gym in 2011 with plans on the doors opening by the start of school next year. We have had a name for our business in mind for the last 6 months now only to find out that another gym in our state opened with almost the same name! The gym name is the same as ours only we would have a letter 's' at the end.

The gym is over 3 hours away from us and we do not plan on having a team any time soon but may eventually. We really love the name and are quite attached to it... I am leaning towards finding a new name out of respect for the existing gym mainly but my business partner doesn't want to let go of the name.

To keep or not to keep? That is my question.

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

Would it ruin the name to add a word or two to it? Obviously I don't know the name, so I have no idea, but some variation that distinguished you a bit but still kept part of the original could be a compromise.

As much as your business partner wants to keep the name, I would choose another. It may get confusing in the future (when you do decide to have a team) and end up competing against the other gym.

My dd's old cheer gym had a similar situation with their team name often getting confused with another gym. They eventually dropped the first part of the name and now just go by the second part. It was actually a good choice and now leaves them with a very unique and individual name.

I would go for a new unique name. Since the other gym is already established you will just look like copy cats if you pick a name too close to theirs:(. JMHO. I think something unique, that would make you stand apart, would be better. Good luck!!!

I would use your own name or your partner's or even a combo of the two and then add to it..i.e Smith's Olympic Gym ...with your name in it, it is definitely yours.

If you feel the name is important to your brand, I wouldn't worry about similar names. Virginia has Aerials (Arlington) and Aerials East -- people seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

The same situation arose in our region a few years ago, and, IMO, the second club to open would have been better served by choosing a different name. (FWIW, also in my opinion, it would also be best if the new name does not sound something like "World Olympic Academy of Elite Gymnastics"--but that's just me.)

Good luck with your new baby. :)

Just from a marketing aspect I would want a name that couldn't be confused wth another gym even though they're 3 hours away. Obviously we can't predict the future, but it can confusing with 2 gyms in one region with almost the same name if both have teams competing.

Could you take the one word you like and add a word or 2 to it to either identify yourselfs or your location?

GL with the new gym! Hope you'll post some pics for us all to see.

I would also chose another name. Besides ever having a team, think of it from a marketing standpoint. A new customer sees your add and forgets to add the "s" when googling it. You have now just sent that prospective customer to the other gym!

Hello all,

I wanted some opinions on a predicament my business partner and I found ourselves in. We are starting a gym in 2011 with plans on the doors opening by the start of school next year. We have had a name for our business in mind for the last 6 months now only to find out that another gym in our state opened with almost the same name! The gym name is the same as ours only we would have a letter 's' at the end.

The gym is over 3 hours away from us and we do not plan on having a team any time soon but may eventually. We really love the name and are quite attached to it... I am leaning towards finding a new name out of respect for the existing gym mainly but my business partner doesn't want to let go of the name.

To keep or not to keep? That is my question.

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

as much as you and your partner are attached to the name it would be better to find another for a few reasons.

First it can become confusing when you do finaly get a team out there - 3 hours a way you will run into them at meets and at a meet is will become confusing really fast.

Second you will confuse the public when they call to get info. it will seem like your gym is part of that gym with basicly the same name

lastly if that gym gets a bad reputation your gym could be confused as that gym. It's just a name and there are alot more out there that will be as nice or even better. Look for a new name and save the drama for dealing with the parents LOL

I would say change it. In the future it could get confusing. My gymss name used to be My citys name which im not going to put all stars gymnastics. and we would get a lot of calls asking if this was all star cheer leading.

I'm with those who say change it - I'd rather be unique!

Not sure if this helps you, but the majority of gyms in GB are named after the area they are from.
Sometimes it is as simple as City of ... other times it will have something afterwards like ... Sparks or ...Twisters. I can't think of many that have the coaches names in or many even that are purely one word - there are a few, but it isn't the norm.

Another gym in our area had a very similar name to ours - literally a 5 min car journey away! Our initials are WFGS - theirs were WFSOG

Anyway it worked in our favour as we have a website and they didn't and we had a lot of their gymnasts. We were also a more established club with better facilities. Their club didn't last very long!

Thanks for your responses everyone :) We were definitely leaning towards another name and now after reading everyone's opinions, I think it is definitely time to throw in the towel on that name and get the creative juices flowing again to find a new one.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your responses everyone :) We were definitely leaning towards another name and now after reading everyone's opinions, I think it is definitely time to throw in the towel on that name and get the creative juices flowing again to find a new one.

Thanks again!

go to your state or reigonal site and see what other gyms are in your area so you know what other names are out there and won't tend towards another name that may have issue.

And we definitly want to know what the winning name is!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back