Hair and practice...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
What do you (or your dd) do about your hair for practice? Pigtails, bun, ponytail? Do you keep your hair long or short and does gymnastics affect that decision? My long hair is always getting in my face and stuck in my grips and a bun doesn't stay, it falls out:( any suggestions?

My 8 year old DD has very long, fine hair with no bangs. First, I gather it into a ponytail. Then, I wrap it around in a bun and secure it tightly with a scrunchie. I leave the ends poking out - that helps keep it in place. Then we use a good 8-10 snap clips or so. By the end of a three hour practice, some of her little baby hairs have come loose, but all in all it's much better than anything else we've tried (and we've tried a lot!).

Good luck.

braiding your ponytail will help to keep it from flying in your face. It will also make it easier to put it in a bun if you want. you could also fold your pony under using another hair band so that it is half the length. DD has very long hair as well. she mainly just uses a pony but sometimes she comes out of practice with the hair folded under, so I know it gets in the way at times. she refused to cut it even just a little. During meets, we do a pony then split it into 8 braids and fold the braids under the pony. keeps it nice, neat, and out of her way. but it takes too long to do it on a daily basis.

I keep it long so I don't have to deal with pinning it up. I do have bangs, though, which I clip back with 2-3 clips. I wear a ponytail every day - so does pretty much everyone else.

Gel, gel,gel! A bit of water and gel holds my dd's straight hair in place. She is 6yo and prefers pigtails right now. I have not been able to find spray gel lately. Does anyone have a suggestion? I've looked at Walgreens and CVS.

She usually just does a pony and a few clips. Her hair is getting really long so we are having to get more creative. Two braids works well. Or we will do two pigs and then bring it together in a pony. There is a girl at our gym who wears two low ponies and then puts bands every three inches or so down the ponies. She has thick hair so it works well for her.

We only use gel for meets, but I really like the one we found. It isn't a spray but I mix it on my fingers with a little water and just rub it over her hair after it is done, then spray with strong hold hair spray. Never had even a strand move through a meet. The stuff is got2b spiked up.

My DD has straight longish hair. For training I usually put it in a low ponytail then plait it.

Gel, gel,gel! A bit of water and gel holds my dd's straight hair in place. She is 6yo and prefers pigtails right now. I have not been able to find spray gel lately. Does anyone have a suggestion? I've looked at Walgreens and CVS.

Amazon. They have everything. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back