WAG Hair Ribbon deduction...?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We're in Region 8 and no bows for our gymnasts although there are two approved styles the girls can wear their hair. They leave the big bows to the All-Star cheerleaders. If the coaches suggested bows, I think there may be a revolt. Glitter in the hair, however, is definitely something the younger girls look forward to! ;)

Not sure where Region 8 is (Sorry!) but really, they all wear big bows?!

I was actually going to suggest to the poster that you make your girls hair ties with ribbon.

Our girls have about eight 10" pieces of ribbon (3 or 4 diff colors, I forget) that coordinate with thier leos. We looped each piece individually around the hair tie and they look great. The ribbon is long enough that it looks good but not long enough as to get caught anywhere.

Just a thought.

Lol. No, they do not all wear bows. In fact I don't ever remember seeing any big bows and being region 8 (southeastern states), we have been o a lot of meets in this region. I think the poster was either noting southern belles or the big cheerleading push down here.

Many of dds team wears ribboned hair ties that they make themselves. You just knot several short ribbons around the elastic hair tie. 6-10. When the tie is wrapped around the pony tail, it makes a very pretty circle of ribbons about 3in long each.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

We compete in Region 8 and there is one gym in our state where the girls wear those big ole cheer bows in their hair. Drives me nuts! lol!!

It's so funny to see both sides of the bow issue. In club gymnastics, my coach never lets us wear bows in our hair, just the team scrunchy. But in high school gymnastics, we make big sparkly bows, and every team in my area wears something similar in their hair. I personally think they look cute, but hate wearing it, because when I tumble my hair gets stuck in it!

I realize I am probably in the minority here, but I would love for the entire sport to BAN hair ribbons and hair glitter! And so would my 9 year old daughter (who is so NOT a girly-girl)!

But seriously, these girls are true, hard-core, dedicated ATHLETES. Their sport requires so much more out of them than just about any other sport. The year-round training (soccer, softball, lacrosse, etc. all have a "season"), and the sheer number of hours they put in every single week ALL YEAR.

I honestly find all of the bows and ribbons and glitter degrading to the girls and trivializing the sport.

Anyone agree with me? Again, I know I am likely in the minority here and I don't mean to offend those who love the glitter and sparkle. But just wondering how alone I am in this feeling...lol....

I completely agree Dis. Neither of my girls are girly girls. Thankfully our gym does not do the ribbons, hair must be in a bun, scrunchy is the only accessory allowed. Bangs must be back as well. To me, and many coaches and judges I know, think that it presents a more professional and team-like appearance.

Our girls always wear ribbons in the club colours. They are generally quite thin ribbons, and short once they've been tied, so they don't hang down or get in the way. I don't find it degrading at all. Yes, they are athletes, but they are also kind of like circus performers (think Cirque de Soleil). Gymnastics isn't just a sport, it is about giving a performance and dressing up is part of it. It is artistic gymnastics and the presentation is part of the artistry. Yes, they are tough athletes, but they are also little girls, and a lot of little girls love dressing up! My DD loves the hair glitter (which is totally optional, nobody is forced to use it if they don't want to). Cheer is starting to take off here recently, and I've seen what they wear to competitions - huge bows and masses of glitter eyeshadow on 8 year olds! In gymnastics, it is relatively subtle - some girls have fancy braided hairstyles, many have a little hair glitter and a few small ribbons.

I've never heard of a deduction for hair ribbons. I've searched our judging manual but I could find nothing in it about hair at all.

I realize I am probably in the minority here, but I would love for the entire sport to BAN hair ribbons and hair glitter! And so would my 9 year old daughter (who is so NOT a girly-girl)!

But seriously, these girls are true, hard-core, dedicated ATHLETES. Their sport requires so much more out of them than just about any other sport. The year-round training (soccer, softball, lacrosse, etc. all have a "season"), and the sheer number of hours they put in every single week ALL YEAR.

I honestly find all of the bows and ribbons and glitter degrading to the girls and trivializing the sport.

Anyone agree with me? Again, I know I am likely in the minority here and I don't mean to offend those who love the glitter and sparkle. But just wondering how alone I am in this feeling...lol....

This is how our coach feels about the sport, and it's why the girls from our gym don't have glitter in their hair or compulsory ribbons. It is really up to the mom of each girl what she is willing to do, and the coach is Ok with anything that isn't too fancy or distracting. I am hopeless with hair, so DD usually gets a ponytail with a plain black elastic, though sometimes I'll put in a scrunchie to match the blue in the leo. Our gym does have an annual show, and it's then that they are allowed to wear makeup and have stuff in their hair, as long as it's safe for the apparatus they will be working on in the show.

Wow learn something new everyday. We have always had a "team issue" ribbon. Not a big deal and it is attached to a pony tail holder thingy.

The underwear deduction sounds like the bra strap deduction from the movie "Stick It"

Is South Carolina Region 8? We always go to Tiger Paw. Our state is region 7 and the girls wear big bows, a lot of the small one would have curly pigtails and have 2 big bows. The announcer at the meet always comments on our hair, how we should win best hair! In reality we really stick out. My dd always looked older and mid way through last year decided to ditch the bows. w did a bu. on the t do her head, with a small (bow) around it. This year she chose a ponytail and the scrunched. But will be back at the meet next weekend, big bows and all.

Is South Carolina Region 8? We always go to Tiger Paw. Our state is region 7 and the girls wear big bows, a lot of the small one would have curly pigtails and have 2 big bows. The announcer at the meet always comments on our hair, how we should win best hair! In reality we really stick out. My dd always looked older and mid way through last year decided to ditch the bows. w did a bu. on the t do her head, with a small (bow) around it. This year she chose a ponytail and the scrunched. But will be back at the meet next weekend, big bows and all.

I'll be at Tiger Paw too, I'll look for the team with the big bows & you look for the team with no ribbons lol

I don't think it takes anything away from the sport or is degrading to the girls at all, it's just a fun aspect of the sport for the girls who are into those kind of things. I would have a problem if kids were forced to wear glitter or bows against their will, but usually that's not the case. As a lover of glittery and girly things, I'm a big fan of pretty hair decorations and glitz, so if a kid wants to wear her hair that way- more power to her!

I don't think it takes anything away from the sport or is degrading to the girls at all, it's just a fun aspect of the sport for the girls who are into those kind of things. I would have a problem if kids were forced to wear glitter or bows against their will, but usually that's not the case. As a lover of glittery and girly things, I'm a big fan of pretty hair decorations and glitz, so if a kid wants to wear her hair that way- more power to her!

I agree. I don't think glitter or hairbows take away from the athleticism and talent that these girls have. I actually really like that there can be a sport where girls work really hard, but can still be girly. So many things out there sort of make the point that in order for a girl to be tough she has to be muddy and dripping sweat or lathered in body oil. I like that my very girly daughter can grow up strong in gymnastics, but not have to give up the girly side of herself.

I myself am not all that girly, but from the day she was born she's loved to shop and dress up!

I myself am not all that girly, but from the day she was born she's loved to shop and dress up!

Same here - I was never very girly, my older DD is a real tomboy, but younger DD (the gymnast) has been girly since the day she was born! I have a professional photo of her at about 6 months old wearing pink, holding a pink feather boa, with some kind of sparkly fluffy thing on her head, and a big smile on her face. Even as a baby she loved to dress up!

I agree. I don't think glitter or hairbows take away from the athleticism and talent that these girls have. I actually really like that there can be a sport where girls work really hard, but can still be girly. So many things out there sort of make the point that in order for a girl to be tough she has to be muddy and dripping sweat or lathered in body oil. I like that my very girly daughter can grow up strong in gymnastics, but not have to give up the girly side of herself.

Like I said, I assumed that I would be in the minority when it comes to this topic. lol :)

As long as it isn't FORCED, to each her own, I say. That and as long as there are no deductions (or favoritism on the other end of the spectrum) from the judges for wearing/not wearing ribbons or bows or glitter or any other decoration.

For the last two years, our gym has required our girls to wear matching ribbons for States (just that one meet). And my kid just HATES it. States are stressful enough...let the girls be as comfortable as possible while still looking professional and appropriate.

wow, crazy, huh? I agree, a little too technical. Unless they were HUGE bows that hung down to their ears, but come on, a judge should be able to see beyond a bow without getting distracted. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back