WAG Hands turned in on back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A gymnast who has trouble turning out in everything she does. She is skinny and weak in some areas that don't make much sense to me. She can make 10 presses in a row and 15 straight leg lifts but has trouble with a 30 second hollow and can only make it halfway up the rope. Anyway, she has a beautiful back handspring on beam except her hands are turned in. She's a righty but puts her left hand in front. We tried getting them on with fingers pointing straight forward but she has trouble with that too. She says when she tries to turn out more she feels wobbly and can't get her hands on. I'm just wondering how much I should push getting her to change it or if it's ok to leave it. I am a little worried that her hands will slide off but they seem to be very solid. Thoughts?

I'm confused as at my gym we have always taught hands in as correct. We are a T&T gym though so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any input on this? Her back handspring are really nice. Just don't know how much to push for her to turn her hands out. These are on beam.

Her hands turned in isn't a problem as long as she isn't putting that front hand so far away from her other hand that her shoulders get out of alignment or square.

You say she's skinny and weak...... So maybe her shoulders are more stable when she engages the muscles that turn her hands and arms inward.

Bottom line is the best way is the one that works as long as the oddity doesn't morph into something extreme.

Thank you!
Hands are close together and she stays pretty square. She's stronger with turned in feet too but we're working on correcting it. After 4 years it's getting only slightly better. It's very strange to watch.

when you are hypomobile, or elbows won't go all the way straight, the gymnast will have the tendency to turn their hands in or pronate if you will. this is because when the hands are turned out, and the elbows won't straighten, the head/face gets very close to the beam because of the joint angle.

I think they are just about straight, if not all the way. I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow.
Dunno, is it ok to have her keep doing it like that?

it's not that it's okay. but necessary for her. i've seen girls to flip flop lay lay with their hands that way. in the end...it's whatever works. :)

Would have to see a video to tell for sure, but it's less of the problem than if her right hand were in front and both hands were turned to the left. I'm assuming in this case both hands are turned to the right or maybe the back hand is straight but probably not. It seems weird TO ME (As in I can't imagine how to do that) but actually isn't that uncommon. It tends to cause problems when the hand that is in front is the same as the first foot that is coming down, because then then will be completely sideways.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back