Handstand forward roll on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is 8 turning 9 this year. She is currently achieving lots of new skills, one she did today was a handstand forward roll on high beam. She is relatively new to competitive gymnastics and I'm just learning as she goes too (a lot of info from here) but this has me thrown. I've never seen one be performed, or even heard of one being done before on beam, only floor. What would she be working towards by doing it? Beam is a particular strength of hers.

I have never seen one performed at competition, handstands yes, forward rolls yes, free forward rolls yes, but not handstand forward roll.

Whether a careful act of planning or co-incidence, when dd started on beam , learning the hand stand forward roll really helped her hit more vertical hand stands. She felt much more comfortable trying when she knew she had a safe way to bail out under her belt

Thanks, yes that seems the most likely explanation, helping to develop the handstand on beam as I too have never seen one performed in competition. She was pretty happy about it, all contributing to the abundance of confidence she has at the minute. :)

I have seen them competed in lower levels a few times. They always look really impressive when done well. Makes sense that they would help with handstand work.

My dd learned it to help her hit a better handstand. One she has a better sense of where vertical is and two she's not afraid of falling over. She now knows to roll if she feels like she's falling.

Jenny when you say you've seen them competed in lower levels can you be more specific please? Just so it gives a greater sense of what she may be heading towards, competition-wise, in the future. Or if it is simply just to assist in hitting that vertical handstand. Thanks for all your responses guys, again great help! :)

I have seen it in novice levels where is makes a nice change from back walkovers. I haven't seen in used in a series with a cartwheel but I can imagine that can look quite nice. I have seen one of two forward roll step out into cartwheel series that have been lovely. Obviously some levels have a 'backwards' move requirement and it won't fulfil that.

I can see it being useful for girls doing grade 13 and grade 12 which includes a handstand. Really good way to get them comfortable getting right up and holding them. And a safe way out too.

Grade 13 has to return to lunge but grade 12 is hold for 2 seconds. Way out not specified. So you could compete a handstand roll in grade 12. That had never occurred to me before. I have seen people compete a side handstand though a few times.

Thanks for that Jenny. Think she could be grade 12 next year. I've been told she's working towards national grades long term but as she's relatively 'new' that could be a further year away. :)

Grade 13 has to return to lunge but grade 12 is hold for 2 seconds. Way out not specified. So you could compete a handstand roll in grade 12. That had never occurred to me before. I have seen people compete a side handstand though a few times.

Just a caveat on that Jenny, I know we discussed this but we were told by our county that a sideways handstand was not permitted in Grade 12, so check with your judges.

They had my daughter doing a handstand forward roll on the beam tonight and it is to help her get more vertical in her handstand. She just turned 7 and goes up in a handstand but not quite vertical. Practicing getting vertical and rolling out of it made her hit vertical better than she ever has before.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back